Localised distribution of Fomes fomentarius

David Humphries

Not to worry then!

Not seen it in person, asides from the many you guys had at your depot. I was reading some literature on its distribution in the US, and it appears to occupy the northern-most territories of North America (from the Appalachian Mountains and northwards). By that logic, if the climate in the UK warms (and similarly in the USA), could its distribution potentially retreat further northwards? I cannot find any specific literature on this, asides from conclusions that can be drawn from its current range.

I suppose my question is more along the lines of, if Fomes is already present in Scotland upon birch quite readily, how can its range move northwards in the UK if it is already up in Scotland? Are we perhaps going to see it begin colonising more upon birch, beech, oak, poplar, etc in the north (midlands onward), and are we perhaps also going to see it move south from its birch refuge in Scotland by using birch and other species (including beech and the other species mentioned in this thread)? In this sense, would it perhaps not be an assimilation of two existing Fomes populations to create one UK-wide meta-population? That is, assuming, there are indeed two distinct populations at present, and not one that is just slightly more dissipated in certain regions of the UK.

As a disclaimer, I'm simply brainstorming aloud and apologise if this discussion has already been had somewhere.

Hope this makes sense as well - banging headache. Already had to edit this a few times!

Edited by Kveldssanger

• 2 weeks later...
.............Can I see two on that oak?

About 4 or 5 fruit bodies at various stages of development on that oak Chris.

We found another new host tree today.

(Well Ali did to be accurate, geezers got his fungdar switched well and truly on)

This one is No11 on the distribution map.

Oak again.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1459881408.126406.jpg.7eb1ce17877773860fc9fcf12a5b7216.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1459881432.058537.jpg.29fddc06beac68a3b0aca55d870377b9.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1459881448.670594.jpg.a2c866745d58e02050f3c5c1bcaf520e.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1459881471.273630.jpg.6e33fa6c7640890239793c067084a9b1.jpg.

Edited by David Humphries