Q stellata, mid-stem

treeseer

This might explain why the lower trunk is so devoid of heartwood!

But is this pattern of decay described in the abstract any different at all from I dryadeus?

you indicated that there was a canker associated, as is the case with Inonotus hispidus, so rot type may be more of a relation to hispidus than dryadeus

yes, canker being defined as a "dead sunken area"; is that your definition as well? i'll look into hispidus/dryophilus/dryadeus, but to know with some confidence that it is Inonotus does help my report thanks.

With a 5' hollow in a ~6' diameter base, every detail helps.

yes, canker being defined as a "dead sunken area"; is that your definition as well? i'll look into hispidus/dryophilus/dryadeus, but to know with some confidence that it is Inonotus does help my report thanks.

With a 5' hollow in a ~6' diameter base, every detail helps.

So the fungus has thus far consumed all but the most hydrated woody cylinder.

I would suggest as long as you can manage the mechanical aspects of the tree form it will be able to live for some time, will now depend on quality of growing conditions, what the tree has in order to continue growing and adapting to mechanical loads.

remove too much foliage without addressing soil deficiencies and the fungi wins most likely

yes, canker being defined as a "dead sunken area"; is that your definition as well?

I think that would be our take on hispidus canker as well Guy.

I'm not entirely convinced that what you have is hispidus, as I don't know the entire eastern seaboard complex of Inonotus, but I am open to the possibility.

Personally I have never noted hispidus on Oak, (Tony may have?) but we do have records of the association here in the Uk (FRDBI)

IMG_5586.jpg.f562286f82cc9bd8c670ef17d2932688.jpg

Thanks David, but that was the definiton of "canker" per se.

So the fungus has thus far consumed all but the most hydrated woody cylinder.

I would suggest as long as you can manage the mechanical aspects of the tree form it will be able to live for some time, will now depend on quality of growing conditions, what the tree has in order to continue growing and adapting to mechanical loads.

remove too much foliage without addressing soil deficiencies and the fungi wins most likely

Understood; i took off very little extra under pressure from paranoid uf; very little.

IMG_4933.jpg.a5b03fdc59db457b570f7fcc1072e1ba.jpg

59766411ed79c_peatmulchcavitycarrboro.jpg.89f8546334809a68066d2ebdb9bb769b.jpg

59766411eb72e_brushpile.jpg.57f483ab294e7da8ef42b535cb75510d.jpg

59766411e98d3_southfullb4captions.jpg.006af7d25a279ed61b4198202f9552b7.jpg

59766411e773b_Eastfullcarrboro.jpg.f36b993d601e8b4aba58432d693d5b60.jpg

I didnt make it clear earlier that im not 100% on hispidus, that indeed dryophilus is a good suspect having had to look it up as im not personaly familiar with that species of inonotus.

also Hispidus is known to take residence on quercus cerris, which as we also know houses other fungi not commonly associated with our native white oaks

I didnt make it clear earlier that im not 100% on hispidus, that indeed dryophilus is a good suspect having had to look it up as im not personaly familiar with that species of inonotus.

also Hispidus is known to take residence on quercus cerris, which as we also know houses other fungi not commonly associated with our native white oaks

well thats all good i reckon; conk is so old and degraded even if there were micromorphological :001_tongue: differences i could probably not suss them out. but mayhaps i should try; good practice...?