Anyone go to the chilterns tree health conference?

I went to this today at bca college and thought it was really good, talked about the different diseases that are affecting woodlands and trees currently and the ones that might come over here, also talked about squirrels and deer management. over all a good day

I went to this today at bca college and thought it was really good, talked about the different diseases that are affecting woodlands and trees currently and the ones that might come over here, also talked about squirrels and deer management. over all a good day

what diseases where covered? you started the thread,lets have some details!:thumbup1:

What you want to know, so much was covered, chalara fraxinea, opm, acute oak decline, phytophthora then went onto the Asian long horned beetle and potential other threats etc then squirrel and deer management and lastly tree selction for a changing climate I'm hoping I get emailed the details about the conference as like I said a lot was covered in little time :S if I do get the notes I'm happy to email them on

What you want to know, so much was covered, chalara fraxinea, opm, acute oak decline, phytophthora then went onto the Asian long horned beetle and potential other threats etc then squirrel and deer management and lastly tree selction for a changing climate I'm hoping I get emailed the details about the conference as like I said a lot was covered in little time :S if I do get the notes I'm happy to email them on

what tree species was mentioned for climate change?

Unfortunately that's the one part I missed as I had to go back to work :( but the point put across i think was to trail run more non native species and to plant a woodland with a wider range of species rather than 1 2 or 3 types plant more to try and make that woodland more resistant to getting diseases within it

Unfortunately that's the one part I missed as I had to go back to work :( but the point put across i think was to trail run more non native species and to plant a woodland with a wider range of species rather than 1 2 or 3 types plant more to try and make that woodland more resistant to getting diseases within it

as long as we dont source them from cheap euro nurseries huh!:001_rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a link to all the presentations:

Forestry Commission - Chilterns Tree Health Conference - 8th March 2013

Was a really great conference, which covered an awful lot in a very short space of time. As I can remember there were a few species talked about for future planting (only potentials mind and only suggested as trials). These included; japanese red cedar, coast redwood, red oak, red alder, macedonian pine, black walnut, sitka spruce and a couple of others I can't remember. These suggestions are based on climate projections for 2050-80 only and do not take into account the potential threats from Pests and Diseases.

Hope this helps.