US arborist struggles with struggling specimen

treeseer

Just to show you brits that not all americans have zero tolerance of compromised trees:

Nice job showing care of an abused tree. :thumbup: What happened to the other walnut?

At 1:02 you speak well of the battle between decay and new growth, showing burls from callus with fresh pruning wounds from sprout removal--why were these sprouts removed?

Trenching roots was one problem hard to remedy, but soil compaction and fill on the flare (evidenced by the "telephone pole" look) can be mitigated by clearing the flare and root invigoration.

If the pull test opens that crack too much, what to do?

Well presented record of the tree from Mr Glenn, and yes it is pleasing to see this level of veteran tree care from your side of the pond. Appreciate the posting :thumbup1:

Like you said Guy, it would be interesting to hear what happened to its neighbour.

Tree looks to have the vitality to tolerate further reduction at some point if need be and target safety becomes higher up the agenda.

Who would manage the finances around maintenance for a tree like this?

Local municipality? or the would the local historical society have any funds available ?

Do you know Blair?

If so, I'd be interested in hearing if he has any recollection of specific fugal associations over the last twenty years.

Cheers

Who would manage the finances around maintenance for a tree like this?

Local municipality?

probably.

or the would the local historical society have any funds available ?

maybe. those funds are discretionary, and historical societies typically love buildings but are slow to see tree value. that monolith i posted recently was something of an exception, but if it's got a plaque it's got a better chance.

Do you know Blair?

only virtually. :001_huh:

If so, I'd be interested in hearing if he has any recollection of specific fugal associations over the last twenty years.

my small experience with J nigra is of few conks visible. and it looks like there has been no encouragement of mycorrhizae. :( but i will ask.