handicap climbing

English-arb

Maybe have a look at the Calvert trust in Kielder Northumberland....info on internet and you tube etc.

Different levels of disability catered for so will have varied experience and skills in provision of technical approaches.

Mostly concerning rock climbing, abseiling from bridges etc but they got my brother from floor to a bridge parapet and back down again some time ago, they will be even more advanced by now....he was in an adapted seat/ sling device in place of his wheelchair and not keen on heights.

I would expect that someone with a limited/ partial disability may find it easier to access the crown of an open structured tree than it might be to access some of the structures that places such as the Calvert trust use.

At the end of the day though, a structure is a structure and there will be a relatively simple solution to your query.

The solution(s) will be different according to each individual perhaps but there may be a basic approach which can be adapted.

Anyway, good post and if you could develop something practically, maybe post back in the future ?

I would think a 2 to 1 advantage, a hitchclimber with VT and a foot ascender type pantin set up might suit this. The ground man can assist in the heaving if needs be or with the 2-1 advantage the thrusting would be that much easier on the handicapped person.

interesting proposition, I wonder if there are any climbers or groundies with a handicap, not a situation that has ever come up in my experience but equal opportunities and all that present the potential.

Lots to think about on this one.

Thanks guys this is great thinking, unless you have lots of money to spend on expensive winches, it's looking like a ratio of 4:1 pulley system is looking promising with one double pulley at the anchor and a double pulley attached to the harness with the hoisting line attached to either my harness with a Prussik acting as stopper or using a capsten to tie of to? Any thoughts on that much appreciated also if anyone has time to show pics or drawings of a setup that would great, thanks guys

Thanks guys this is great thinking, unless you have lots of money to spend on expensive winches, it's looking like a ratio of 4:1 pulley system is looking promising with one double pulley at the anchor and a double pulley attached to the harness with the hoisting line attached to either my harness with a Prussik acting as stopper or using a capsten to tie of to? Any thoughts on that much appreciated also if anyone has time to show pics or drawings of a setup that would great, thanks guys

Is this to help a mate as a one off or to give the experience to more disabled folks?

I reckon this is a cause I could be happy to sponsor as would many many others I am sure.

Is this to help a mate as a one off or to give the experience to more disabled folks?

I reckon this is a cause I could be happy to sponsor as would many many others I am sure.

this is to begin with just a thought for people i know who have family or friends with minor of major handicaps.

but i have also thought about recreational climbing as a business and obviously i would like to provide this service to those at a disadvantage.