chainsaw not firing up

stevie

I just had my STIHL 021 out to give a clean and sharpen the chain, and thought I would try and tweak her a bit as she was cutting out when idling. I tried to adjust her by the screw at the side and now she wont start at all, ive tried turning the screw back but to no avail. Any ideas or have I buggered my saw? :confused1:

Which screw have you turned? One of the two little ones? Doubt very much that you've buggered it. Sure you can find the info online or someone will be along to tell you, but I think it's 1 and a quarter screws out from closed for both screws then adjust with it running. As I said though might be worth waiting for someone to tell you for definite before messing further.

Rob

If its the one on its own then that is just the idle screw, so you wont have knackered anything.

You have probably just flooded it.

Remove the spark plug, make sure the on/off switch is set to off and pulling the starter a good few times, dry the plug if the end of it is wet.

You could check its sparking by putting the plug into the ht lead, hold the metal thread bit of the plug against the head of the saw(or any other clean metal bit) put the on/off switch to on DONT PUT IT ON CHOKE OR 3/4 THROTTLE and pull the starter a few time, you should see a spark (or feel one :001_tongue:)

Put the plug back in and start it up :001_smile:

If its the one on its own then that is just the idle screw, so you wont have knackered anything.

You have probably just flooded it.

Remove the spark plug, make sure the on/off switch is set to off and pulling the starter a good few times, dry the plug if the end of it is wet.

You could check its sparking by putting the plug into the ht lead, hold the metal thread bit of the plug against the head of the saw(or any other clean metal bit) put the on/off switch to on DONT PUT IT ON CHOKE OR 3/4 THROTTLE and pull the starter a few time, you should see a spark (or feel one :001_tongue:)

Put the plug back in and start it up :001_smile:

What are two little holes for, there doesnt seeem to be any screws in it, if there are they are blody small

What are two little holes for, there doesnt seeem to be any screws in it, if there are they are blody small

Their are screws in there but they are small and dont fiddle with them if you dont know what your doing since they adjust the low and high jet in the carb. Very easy to screw them in too far thus leaning out the fuel/air mixture and wrecking the saw.

If you have messed with them then the usual standard setting is to screw them in (clockwise) gently until it stops the turn anticlockwise 1 to 1-1/2 turns, most stihl stuff is 1 turn but it should say on the case ie little pic of H L and an arrow with 1 or 1-1/2 next to it.

make sure the air and fuel filter is clean, adjust carb back to stihl settings as mesterh describes, (dont screw them in tight, as youll wreck the rubber ends)

if still no luck, get an air-line to clean the crap off the outside of the carb to prevent debris getting in, take the top of the carb off, you'll find a real fine wire gauze filter-that might be full of sludge-treat the insides of the carb like a surgeon would with a heart transplant!

what colours the spark plug?? (white, digestive buscuit brown, or black?)