Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

COOL Beans David!

I have jews ear on a plane this year also!

Alan Gange has a theory that Jews ear is widening its host range, at the BMS I openly agreed stating my observational agreement.

I think were going to see a lot of conflicts with the established textbook samples of fungi in the future, or is it that we are just becoming more observant?

Mycology has uptill recently not been "fashionable" but is recieving a bit of a renasoince period right now!

good job too!

I have jews ear on a plane this year also!

Alan Gange has a theory that Jews ear is widening its host range, at the BMS I openly agreed stating my observational agreement.

I think were going to see a lot of conflicts with the established textbook samples of fungi in the future, or is it that we are just becoming more observant?

Mycology has uptill recently not been "fashionable" but is recieving a bit of a renasoince period right now!

good job too!

Possibly extending their host range (Laetiporus springs to mind), but I think "we" are getting more in tune with looking at what's around us.

Possibly extending their host range (Laetiporus springs to mind), but I think "we" are getting more in tune with looking at what's around us.

i think some of us have been in tune for a long time, we just havent known just how important these observations are to the scientific community.

Like my diary post yesterday, it made me think, Buglife stated that the flat footer is the only known parasitic of a fungi, but I have regulary found little pink "maggots" within Hispidus brackest, and certain these are unique to this fungus, I am thinking this may well be new to science? exciting prospect, remember who said it first!:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Right heres those little pink grubs I spoke of in hispidus brackets, I am pretty darn sure these will be new to science!:thumbup1: cool beans!

597655ce97259_tramettesgibossa584.jpg.bc50d586fc20b02a0395d9a92203a7ac.jpg

It is claimed that the flat footed fly is the only known bug to be parasitic on a fungal bracket, also this is believed possible due to the perennial nature and longevity of the G. applanatum, affording a suitable duration for the larvea to feed and pupate.

these little grubs that I suspect are a type of beetle (to be confirmed) live in a bracket that as you all know is not durable and falls to the ground by early winter and is often degraded and soggy, i have never found these grubs in a fallen bracket however. I suspect thier life proscess happens fairly rapidly, say 4-5 months.

I am very excited about this, I may well get a beetle named in my honour! even cooler beens!:thumbup1:

of course i may be well of the mark, but i dont think so!:001_rolleyes:

Have you put them up on the Eggs, Larvae and Caterpillars forum at Wab?

I've got a couple in there, lots of views but not many returns :sneaky2:

I'll keep a look out for "yours" in hispidus.

I'm going to see what this little monkey turns into, thought it was a banded pine weevil, but may be a long horn of sorts

Fancy giving me your thoughts Mr Sorensen ?

Pissodes castaneus ? - Wild About Britain

IMG_0663.jpg.49b94d661d8762b608552af8dcdce2cc.jpg

597655ceb1c69_IMG_0662-Copy.jpg.99049059be18a1fe64e4ab57aa1dbdbf.jpg

597655cead7f4_IMG_0594-Copy.jpg.2666822ad235908aaf0e2274400358d9.jpg

597655cea3688_IMG_0588-Copy.jpg.c0faa5e862bc2a00da256ce13ff7eb04.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D

Ooops, just realised I've derailed me own thread. :blushing:

At least yours was Bug & Fung Tony :thumbup1:

Mine was just Bug :thumbdown:

So, here's a nice bit of Fung...........

That is a beuatiful thing in oh so many ways!

best thing is, I actualy dont have any idea what it is!

defo a polypore of some sort, but the banding, the short stipe, and on birch, just awsome monkey, what on earth do you know about it?:thumbup: