I am thinking about going self employed.

chipper080

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please remember that this is public liabilty insurance you are talking about. If they have it then that covers their liability to a third party, and it doesnt matter if they had a self employed person with them that day, its the tree comapany that is covered and that include you.

You do not need seperate insurance.

Thank's guy's now i know this then i think i will pass on the job as think i was told a wee porky and best to avoid any problems this may cause. thanks again.

It might just be a case that the company you who told you to get insurance are misinformed - no reason to turn down work!!! Let him know the situation about not needing insurance on his jobs.

It might just be a case that the company you who told you to get insurance are misinformed - no reason to turn down work!!! Let him know the situation about not needing insurance on his jobs.

Good advice!!

I think a large propertion of companies are misinformed about insurance and a huge number of self employed people are also misinformed.

Trouble is though it sounds as though this company are mis informed about what a self emplyed person is and what a subby is etc. so might be tricky informing them of anything.

Of course the company dont actually need any PI insurance if they choose not to. Any liabilty to a third person (the public) would fall on the customer to sort out so if they hire a company without PL then thats up to them.

Thats all PL is for, its to protect the customers liability for what might happen to the public while the tree work is bieng carried out.

It is not for (is partly) for actuall damage caused to the customers property. That is such a minor thing that the insurance cost for that would be £10 a year! It is for the much wider "liability" to the much wider "public". and that is why we have policies of 5 or 10million cover.

And in case you hadnt grasped that thats why its called "public liability".

Im writing this for everyone not the original poster, I'm not having a go, you asked a legitimate question. But this is why I get so frustrated with poeple who think they need PL in case they break a greenhouse!

And then groundies think they need a seperate policy in case they break the greenhouse. That is not what the cover is really for.