tech cert in arb online?

nz paul

Hey everyone was wondering if anyone had done or new of anyone who has done this via online thru myrescough?

If so is it worth it.Im thinking about checking it out as i dont really have the time at the moment to take on a three year degree and thought this would be a good starter for getting into a more of a consultant,managerial role?

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

cheers

Bit of bad press at the moment with the aa tech cert as it was ran last year by someone who left half way through the course and got picked up by another person who left not so far after.

The exam was quite hard and the person who wrote it put questions in it that were not in the teaching sylubus hence many people failing it and feeling disgruntled by not learning the right things to pass the exam, quite rightly so.

The exam writer in question has since been asked not to write again the word is on the grape vine, and the course tutor has done a massive amount of work to re jig the resources and prepare for this year and next so it will be much beter than previous people may give feed back on.

best to give the college a ring and ask to speak to the tutor for more info.

I hear that tree life are also very good but not sure if they do it online.

hi, I am in the process of doing it through Mycercough College. This is the first online course I have done so don’t have much to compare it too. I did study at University so have had some experiences of some of the topics that are being covered and getting into study mode. OK so, so far I am really enjoying it. I wont lie it is challenging and bits are in depth. I find the hardest bit is reading through the work books (Some are 100 pages long) and just getting the main points out of this. Also the online Tree/Shrub Identification package is excellent and a good discussion board to speak to the tutor and other people on the course is a great help. Any other questions just ask. Cheers Steve

Hi chap, I am having a nightmare with the college at the moment, the last exam i sat with them had questions in it that are not in the notes and the college replied if it is in the syllabus we dont need to put it in the notes!!! The support from the lecturers online is also poor and no preparation is offered for the management course at all. I am still awaiting a reply from a lecturer that i sent 2 weeks ago. I do not usually slate colleges etc but with 1st hand experience of them i would advise not to do it with them. 2 out of 20 people passed last year one being a TO of 2-3 years before, There are other places to do it and i now wish i had gone else where. I hope they sort it out for others in the future but for now it is not good.

Hope that helps!!!

Im going to sit the rest of my Tech Cert with Tree life, although more costly its def a clearer way of passing!!!

Depends on wether you want to learn about trees or pass an exam i guess.

If you only want to do it with the intention of passing an exam then you will get far less out of it than doing it because you genuinly want to learn about tree's.

Depends on what drives you as well, and on-line stuff does require a lot more self discipline than other ways of learning.

If you don't have the time, or discipline or need to learn about the industry and how nature works then you will undoubtably fail and feel it a waste of time.

If you live the job and have a good back ground in the industry, which is what it was designed for then it will be easier therefore more interesting and less of a chore.

What ever you do or where ever you do it, think about what you want out of it before you part with cash and valuable time.

good luck and enjoy.

The Tech Cert is definetly a worth while course and you will have to put the work into to get it but like all educational facilities you need good back up and involvement from colleges.

Treelife will teach you to an extent all you need to know and the online course will provide the notes for you to study. You will obviously have to have an interest and an ever increasing knowledge of arb to pass.

The problem with Myerscough (for me) was they didnt know what was going to be in the law paper as it was changing format but what was in the paper was not covered in the notes ( so now i am peeved off with them!!!). 2 out of 20 people passed it on our course yet with other establishments the pass rate was higher, its not stats but its pretty clear there is a problem there! I read every note sent and went out of my way to purchase most of the text booked, learning this way is not a problem to me as i have already obtained a degree from Reading, but did feel blind sided by the law paper.

As for the living the job this is now my 12th year in the industry, run my own business and work with a AA consultant on occasion. I do want to increase my knowledge base but ultimately i need to pass this get more work in the future, everyone loves CPD!

Wow, it looks like there really was a problem witht that course at Myerscough then, i Chatted to Tree life at the AA trade fair last year and they seem pretty switched on. The y also are based in My home Village so they must be good!

Apologies for the delving but some times people do a lot of winging because they didn't pass but clearly not in this case.