Biodiversity Planting Formula

Gary Prentice

The 10, 20 and 30 have probably been chosen for ease of remembering rather than due to any Fionacci connection. As they are ratios rahter than whole numbers the true Fibonacci series starting with 10% would be 10%, 16% and 26%.

What would be really really interesting and evidence of the 10-20-30 formula being sound would be whether a woodland left to its own devices (as if H. sapiens would ever let that happen!) obeys the formula. If time and drinking obligations allow over the next week, I may try it out with a couple of NVCs. It would be lovely if it worked out...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear oh dear, now that is a clear dislay of your level of inteligence and maturity!

Thank you kindly sir, you are clearly a gentleman and a scholar.

Loving your signature line by the way, that's really special. Especially the poor spelling.

Have you looked up the word indigenous yet?

Oh, and feel free to apologise for your wild accusation "You circumnavigated this inacuracy by cleverly manipulating my post, and then made it look like you had written it" when clearly the 'manipulation' was the result of your own ham-fistedness in post 11.

Dear oh dear, now that is a clear dislay of your level of inteligence and maturity!

Loving your signature line by the way, that's really special. Especially the poor spelling.

Oh, and feel free to apologise for your wild accusation "You circumnavigated this inacuracy by cleverly manipulating my post, and then made it look like you had written it" when clearly the 'manipulation' was the result of your own ham-fistedness in post 11.

With all due respect, this thread has had some great input, answered my original question, been informative and led to some interesting avenues for future discussion. Could we please continue in this vein.

I do, with increasing regularity, make mistakes, sometimes with spelling too ( I do not use a spell checker)and yes I did make a pigs ear of post 11, but you did manipulate the post.

Getting things wrong is hardly a crime.

I can not understand where we went wrong, I read most of your posts and have found myself in agreement with 99% of what you write!

Being able to write and be consistently understood on a forum is difficult to say the least, we all have different fields of expertise which makes it even harder I came into arboriculture from studying bio-chemistry so there are some areas that are easier for me to understand where I might need longer for others, it is allso easy to assume that other people can understand what we are trying to say, ie, extremes of temperature! In ecological terms, extremes of temperature can be as little as 5 degrees C, the difference between global warming and an ice age, which I think is what you wrote.

I genuinely feel that under different circumstances ( over a pint or good bottle ) the conversation would have been different and quite enjoyable, most certainly the part about Elm trees and their ability to evolve beyond O. novo-ulmi, this is perfectly true however it has been achieved genetically by Abertay university in Dundee , so maybe in the future we could see a rturn of the English Elm just in time to replace the lost Ash.

I would be pleased if we could stop the bickering so I can once again enjoy your posts.

What ever the outcome I wish you a happy and prosperous new year

Jonny

I just read the original question again. I thought it was about how (and why) to specify for diversity. But someone posted almost right away the answer to another question that you might have been asking which is how do you express the degree of existing diversity numerically. Which could be the Shannon Index or alternatively the Simpson Index. Some fairly heavy duty statistics calculations needed to work them out. Wikipedia introduces them quite well. But unless someone puts a gun to my head and makes me compare the diversity of species in two similar woodlands I aint never ever using them.