New(ish) member introduction. Unsure where to post it

Matt GT

Hi folks,

I have been lurking on forums for a year or so :blushing: and I have to say the wealth of information and knowledge here is a treasure!

I used to be in forest management but moved into tree cutting more when working for FC my FM squad was put on the cutters rota for a month due to workloads. Well I loved it. Since then I have always been tree cutting one way or another.

20 years on and fully recovered from a dislocated fracture of my wrist (snowboarding injury) I am back on my saws and have this month just passed my 38/39.

I had the absolute time of my life on that climbing course and I would say it was life changing I took a shed load of photos. Now all I can think about is getting my own climbing kit to rec climb. Never mind work lol.

I was an avid rock climber in the 80's - 90's but lost my bottle for that not long after becoming a father. I used to climb at E1 and would belay and second my mate on his crazy E5 stuff :S (I still shudder at Smiths Arete (E5 6a) at pass of Ballater).

I have also been into all snow-sports all of my life.

I am hoping to find work with an Arb team that are positive and bouncy like myself. I have worked for past two years with an Arb team but well they have more cons than pros for me. Mainly due to squads not playing nice with each other and to much bitching and dogged behaviors. Kit is abused and never maintained etc.. its horrible.

No I am not going to go off on a bitchfest about that, I left it's in the past and I self funded my 38/39 to branch out to better experiences.

I have been so inspired by the attitudes and positive postings that are all over these forums :thumbup1: Talk about an about turn to what I am used to in forestry !

I am in a dilemma just now as I do not have a climbing kit thus can not effectively seek work as climber or groundy with out. Seeking tree planting work for the season is/should be underway now.

Might go snowboard instruction again for the season. Dunno ;) But I am happy and relaxed at this time of my life.. I did have a 4 year spell of stress and depression that came from 12 years of working in an office! This is another long story and the "STRESS" thread on Arbtalk by Stephen has reduced me to a blubbering mess of tears on many an occasion (all good though)! That thread has given me strength and confidence! It proved that what I went through, others were also going through it.

To all that posted in that thread I admire you and love you for posting and I will try and put my story in there to aid others!

Righty o' I never expected such an amount of words to fly on to the screen! :001_huh: It must be meant :biggrin:

cheers muckers :)

Matt

Welcome Matt GT , I too had a ball climbing in the 80s & 90s , but top roping E3 was as far as I got:thumbup:. Still do some bits , full climbing rack sitting there looking at me , it all slow's down when the little one's come along.

I hope you have as much fun here as the rest of us:001_tt2:.

well welcome(ish) to the talk and i hope you find what you are looking for. Being freelance i cant give you any work but i can go boarding with you whenever you want and we can talk job on the way :thumbup1:

Will love to take you up on that, I am going to try to get a decent amount of time on snow at Nevis this year as I have never boarded there :001_cool:.

But Glenshee is my home from home, mind you i do love Glencoe as well.!

Thanks David I will be in touch to organise that :):thumbup:

Welcome where are you based? Could be good to meet for a rec climb

Hi Guss I am based in Aberdeenshire grew up in Aboyne on Deeside but now reside over in Strathdon.

Love the idea of a rec climb and soon as I get a basic climbing kit together I will be banging your down :)

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. Cool first post there, and interesting to read a little about you. Hope you enjoy posting, stick some pics in when you can, post a thread of your adventure into Arboriculture, and most importantly join in the fun here. :thumbup:

Hi Andy, thanks for the welcome and that is a cool idea you have there I will give that some serious thought. Pics.. oh I love my pics :) I will be sharing some of those :thumbup: thanks again mate!

Welcome Matt GT , I too had a ball climbing in the 80s & 90s , but top roping E3 was as far as I got:thumbup:. Still do some bits , full climbing rack sitting there looking at me , it all slow's down when the little one's come along.

I hope you have as much fun here as the rest of us:001_tt2:.

Thanks Grass hopper, anything over E1 and I was top roped :001_tt2: I am sure I was just his gear retriever lol oh and onsite medic :laugh1: And witness for any new routes he was trying out. Awesome days though in the sun on rocks surrounded by half naked girls watching and joining in the fun.

I only have 2 x 50 meter ropes (condemned for climbing now), petzel Jump harness and a no.5 Camelot left from those days. Seems like a different life now.