066 piston and cylinder

tree monkey

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I would be concerned about is that this is a seizure due to lack of lubrication in one form or another. That doesn't happen 'because the saw is old'.

When a saw is old and wears out, it's usually the rings that go first, being softer than the plating. You can usually get a second lease of life out of the piston with new rings.

There are other types of failure which produce scoring - relating to chewy bits going into the pot. You can get this on the inlet side from a failed air filter, or if you run with way too much oil in the mix, so it's chucking out smoke, it is also very sooty and the soot lumps can break off and score up the bore, particularly on the outlet side. Saws with horizontally mounted pots (like the 041, 051 or 075/6) seem particularly prone to this on the lower side.

When you get heat seizure, something is wrong - the seizure is a symptom, not the cause, so unless you find the cause you will have the same thing happen again. It can be down to fuel - old fuel (a couple of weeks in the tank, a few weeks mixed in the can) doesn't lubricate properly; 'bad' pump fuel can do it (I know this - it did two of mine at the same time!) and surprisingly putting too much oil in the mix can do this as the petrol/air mix is then lean.

Did you run any other saws at the same time with no problems?

If you did, then it suggests an underlying saw problem. It could be an air leak - from the crankcase, the main bearing seals or a split or incorrectly fitted carb boot, or various other things. Some of these can be found visually, others need vacuum leak testing.

Unless you have the kit to do leak checking, I would seriously suggest getting this done at least before you start doing anything else. Otherwise you may well end up spending more money on another set of parts in the very near future.

Alec

ive put my hands up its not worth the risk the petrol was used in other saws and the 066 had been filled a few times that day so im taking advise and thinking something caused the failure so im going to bite the bullet and get the expert to look at it :)

The 066 is a decent workhorse and worth some ££££, it would be a shame to fit new parts and then have it go again due to a split impulse/inlet boot or dodgy seals - missed due to lack of inspection and measurement.

Seen it all before and this sort of repair can be thought as easy but is seldom such once a full inspection is done.

Most members I have fixed saws for would have had to spend out £250 -£350 for an OEM kit on its own without fitting but in reality, I salvaged their cylinder and fitted a decent piston for well under this cost - now thats a real win-win:thumbup: