Need some milling done near Ipswich

MaverickGR

• 4 months later...

Realised I forgot to explain the milling process!

Fairly simple really - the rail is a 6"x2" aluminium box section which comes in 5' lengths that bolt together with internal braces and becomes extremely rigid.

The rail was set up to height and adjusted to run through the centreline as best as possible end to end. I tried to get closer to the centre where it was thinner (as there's less to play with in the finishing) but couldn't quite run centred on both halves of the top, hence the nearer branch is a bit low of centre while the far branch is pretty much dead centre.

The rail was nailed on to the butt, using headless nails which fit through guide holes in the rail. This kept everything rigid.

Milling was standard to start with, although using a 6" wide rail with a 36" mill you have to be very careful to avoid tilting.

Once the crotch was reached, it was wider than the mill. This was dealt with by taking the front post off the mill (see picture) and using it like a small log mill, but with a lot of support to keep it level. Once through the crotch, the mill was put back together and milling continued as normal until I ran out of fuel. Since you can't back out of the cut, the options are to dismantle the mill to fuel up, or to use a funnel - I go for the latter. You can't get a full tank in because the filler cap is on the top, but you can get enough to make it worthwhile.

Milling continued until the stump end was reached and the mill again became too narrow. At this point, the front post was again removed to extract the mill from the log. The cut through the roots was completed freehand, using the existing cuts as a guide. I used the 066 with a 36" bar and a ripping chain.

The missing part of the saga in the pictures is how to roll over and extract half a tree, 100ft down a garden, negotiate the patio, wiggle round the corner of the garage and house without taking out the external gas pipe and then winch it into a van, then repeat with the other half!

Alec