Help! Best way to get started?

Devonshire

Hi,

I need to some advice from some more experienced guys out there. I’ve just started a level 2 arb course at college that will take 1 year to complete, I’ve noticed other companies locally offer the NPTC qualifications (CS30,CS31,CS38,CS39) for a similar price that I’m paying the college and in a much shorter time. I’m not too fussed about getting the diploma from college, I just want to get my tickets and get a job. I think I would learn a lot more actually working than sitting around in a classroom wasting time.

Is the diploma necessary? Should I continue at college for the year or just get my tickets done ASAP and try and find a job? Would i be employable if I just had CS30,CS31,CS38,CS39? If not, what’s the minimum I need to be employable?

I’d appreciate any advice and feedback.

Cheers!

I too was going to do the short term college, however i went and did the course you metioned. Just from my point of view and a friends we both got jobs over others from the extra knowledge we learnt in the longer course. It was a 3 day per week so ment i could also work 2-4days on the ground and in the trees giving me time to work and put into pratice what i learnt and then learn some more as well as gaining that extra lil bit which you wouldnt of got else where. Id go for the long term course as i wouldnt have done it different. But its all down to you bud. Also the 4 cs ticket u gwtbwhen u pasd is the minimum to start, if you can get chipper aswell even better

It's good to know you did the course and got a job at the end. My course is only 2 days a week and i'm used to working 40+ hours a week so college has been a bit of a culture shock. There is a lot of hanging around doing nothing, i'm frustrated already, i just want to learn the most i can and get my tickets and get working!

I'm trying to get some work to fill my free days, I contacted a few local companies but so far no one has been willing to take me on for a few days a week. A couple have said that they don't have the insurance to have another guy on site and there's not a lot i can do without my tickets anyway. That's why i want to get them done as quickly as possible. Maybe i'll put a thread up here and see if anyone on here would give me a job a few days a week.

Aye thats the best way, get ur 30-31 first and post a thread up here, also to get some work time in offer to do a day for free. At the end of the course the firm may offer you a job. And i know what u mean by the waiting around as i left the military after 12 yrs straight into college lol massive shock. Stick at it bud and keep yourself busy and complete the course work on time, dont just go for a pass since you have the time at min go for distinction all the way and start learn those latin names bud

Ideal! Thanks for the advice. I'll just stick with college for now and step up trying to get some work experience to fill the rest of my week. I don't mind working for free if i'm learning. Cheers mate!

it mainly depends on your ambition, if you want the 'tree' thing and know your stuff than thats that.

but if you want to crack on, climb, graft, learn, become self-employed etc. you could just do you tickets and go for it. grab some books along the way and do whats right.

My ambition is to get my foot in the door for now. Really all i want is the minimum to able to get a job then build up my skills and experience from there. If i could get a job at the bottom with just the four tickets (CS30,CS31,CS38,CS39) then i would be tempted to jack college in and do it. It's a risk seen as though i'm already enrolled at college, i'm just looking for advice for the best way to go.

As said its ur choice, and i gave u what happened with my self. Since doing the course amd getting the job ive got an extra couple of tickets, and now starting uni (online) for my degree in arb. Being that when i hang up my ropes and can divert to something else