modding a 201

vduben

Someone has been on AS and been looking at Brads post - what could go wrong...................its only drilling one small hole and a little tweak on the flywheel key:blushing::lol:

haha yes! so im guessing you cant do that then? never mind :001_huh:

haha yes! so im guessing you cant do that then? never mind :001_huh:

It's very possible to do but prefer not to experiment on others saws but do prefer to mod my own and then mod others to the same standard. The muffler mod is a pretty simple tool when used with the correct carb tweaks to get the best out of it.

Not come acros the timing tweak but often move the coil to advance the timing a degree or two!

Regarding AS and Brad ,you folks only know him through the internet but I know him personally .He evidently had some degree of success with the 201 but I'm not certain if it met with his expectations though .

I've seen him at least 3-4 times since that blurb on that site but I've never seen the saw .If it indeed would have been a screamer I'd have bet a fair sum of money it would have shown up some place .

FWIW I know of nobody that has had what could be deemed "great " success with altering that design of engine .They did have some improvements but nothing earth shattering .

More on the subject .Because of more stringent requirements placed on manufacturers both Husqvarna and Stihl ,others also were mandated to build less polluting engines .This basically "fresh air " type of transfer was one of their designs .It works but with a slight discrepency regarding performance .

It all boils down to basically using the "purge " portion of the transfer cycle by inducing cold outside air .Now it only makes sense this colder air woud have a tendency to cool the combustion portion of the cylinder thus the power portion would obviously be at a disadvantave until after running a short while it heated up . Anybody who's operated this design of engine can verify that after a short time in the cut it seems like the power comes up .They do okay they just don't act like the older engine designs most of us are used to .