How long can you work outside Uk, being self employed?

MOG

hello,

as title says. i am working out how long i can work outside of uk being self employed climbing contractor and then paying tax in uk?. my planing is working in Winterthur near zurich in Switzerland and around the local area. i.e germany/france/ italy/ austria etc. but could fly in out uk as i would have to i guess for work/tax reasons.

any advice regarding this matter and the best road to go down, would be very helpful and much appreciated.

thanks Mog

when i left the military, i went off and did cp (close protection) back out in the dunes. I had a overseas account and as long as i was out of the country and only came back and spent less than 59/60 days in country all of my earnings was tax free, i just paided the min amount to cover myself in using the nhs. sure it was N.I but then again it was a while back

hello,

as title says. i am working out how long i can work outside of uk being self employed climbing contractor and then paying tax in uk?. my planing is working in Winterthur near zurich in Switzerland and around the local area. i.e germany/france/ italy/ austria etc. but could fly in out uk as i would have to i guess for work/tax reasons.

any advice regarding this matter and the best road to go down, would be very helpful and much appreciated.

thanks Mog

In EU countries, you can work for as long as you like, and pay tax in the UK as long as your permanent residence remains in the UK.

But Switzerland is not part of EU, so you'd have to check as other rules apply.

Hi,

I've been working abroad for the last five years; I had a UK bank account, etc but had an NT (no tax) tax code. You need to satisfy the criteria for being 'non resident' and 'not ordinarily resident' and spend no more than an average of 90 days a year in UK averaged out over three years.

You should speak to an accountant, but if you have not worked in the UK and satisfy the above, then you should be able to claim back your tax.

There is also some implications regarding National Insurance; I was able to claim back my Class 1 contributions after I'd been away a year and only had to pay class 3 but this may be different as you are self employed.

Speak to an accountant or look at the HMRC website. Make sure you get an accountant by recommendation from someone in a similar position; as a previous poster said there are a lot of accountants sorting out the affairs of ex-military lads doing CP work - these are the ones to go for. Make sure you find out what their fees will be before you authorise them to be your accountant; you shouldn't pay more than the low hundreds a year for this service. Don't get ripped off like I did!!!