Stihl 024 air leak

ihatesaws

• 3 weeks later...

I got the pick set a couple of weeks ago. Manufactured from chrome vanadium steel for strength, so said the product description. Each one of them bent straight away. A neighbour gave me a piece of really hard steel today from a hay turner. It has a 90 deg bend at the end. I stuck it into the seal, put my two feet on the saw and pulled the shaft up with a vise grips as hard as I could but the seal wouldn't budge. I put another vise grips on opposite and got another guy to pull up on that one and after a few goes it finally popped out.

I put the new seals in. Hopefully they are at the correct depth. The clutch side didn't go in quite right. The socket pushed on the outer metal ring only so there was no pressure on the inner rubber lip which in part didn't go down smoothly where the crankshaft widens. I hit it with a smaller socket and that helped it be more uniform but it isn't perfect. Prodding it with a screwdriver didn't seem to help. I don't want to hammer it any more incase the seal goes too deep. I did a vac test while rotating the crankshaft and it seems not to leak.

Tomorrow I will finish putting the saw back together and give it a test. If it is still the same way I'll go crazy. :bash:

I vac tested the 024S a couple of weeks ago again and I couldn't see any leaks but maybe the seals only leak when the saw is running and haven't deteriorated yet to the point where I can pick the leak up with the test. If the 024 is now fixed I will probably replace the seals on the super.

I got the pick set a couple of weeks ago. Manufactured from chrome vanadium steel for strength, so said the product description. Each one of them bent straight away. A neighbour gave me a piece of really hard steel today from a hay turner. It has a 90 deg bend at the end. I stuck it into the seal, put my two feet on the saw and pulled the shaft up with a vise grips as hard as I could but the seal wouldn't budge. I put another vise grips on opposite and got another guy to pull up on that one and after a few goes it finally popped out.

I put the new seals in. Hopefully they are at the correct depth. The clutch side didn't go in quite right. The socket pushed on the outer metal ring only so there was no pressure on the inner rubber lip which in part didn't go down smoothly where the crankshaft widens. I hit it with a smaller socket and that helped it be more uniform but it isn't perfect. Prodding it with a screwdriver didn't seem to help. I don't want to hammer it any more incase the seal goes too deep. I did a vac test while rotating the crankshaft and it seems not to leak.

Tomorrow I will finish putting the saw back together and give it a test. If it is still the same way I'll go crazy. :bash:

I vac tested the 024S a couple of weeks ago again and I couldn't see any leaks but maybe the seals only leak when the saw is running and haven't deteriorated yet to the point where I can pick the leak up with the test. If the 024 is now fixed I will probably replace the seals on the super.

It is worse than ever. Very erratic idle and doesn't stay going for long. Just to make matters worse the starter recoil stopped working a few weeks ago. It wouldn't pull back in the rope. I was using the starter from the 024S on both saws and now that is pulling in the rope extremely slowly.

Thanks for your help, spud. I give up. I hate saws.:sad:

It is worse than ever. Very erratic idle and doesn't stay going for long. Just to make matters worse the starter recoil stopped working a few weeks ago. It wouldn't pull back in the rope. I was using the starter from the 024S on both saws and now that is pulling in the rope extremely slowly.

Have you thought about a change of job:lol: Not sure there is much I can do to help - £10 for both the saws:lol:

Sorry our long dialogue has come to nothing but frustration - these are the sort of problems that sort the men from the boys....and keep me awake at night.

List them on ebay if you cant fix them - shame you aren't a bit closer as I would have taken it on and hopefully sorted it.

If the pressure and vac test is solid with almost zero leakage then the job is a good one and can't understand the problem without inspection.

Sorry:thumbdown:

Have you thought about a change of job:lol: Not sure there is much I can do to help - £10 for both the saws:lol:

Sorry our long dialogue has come to nothing but frustration - these are the sort of problems that sort the men from the boys....and keep me awake at night.

List them on ebay if you cant fix them - shame you aren't a bit closer as I would have taken it on and hopefully sorted it.

If the pressure and vac test is solid with almost zero leakage then the job is a good one and can't understand the problem without inspection.

Sorry:thumbdown: