The best book- IMO essential reading for arborists

Agreed other book are more essential for arbs but this has got to be a good addition for a better understands and to have an overall better picture on things no?

If for no other reason than to cause a shift in thinking and appreciation that trees are incredibly complex, as is the life that needs them.

we traditionally treat all "others" as pests and diseases, and this forums posts highlight that to the enth degree, but this view is far from the reality, it is a far more complex and fascinating ecology.

Tony, it certainly is (I think) amongst one of the best books I have read in terms of drawing together disperate threads of the many patterned tapestry that is woodland/forest ecology.

As to how much relevance 'anyone' might find for their daily life...well that will depend on the person.:sneaky2:

Some of us (I think) feel at times that we are on a path of broadening/deepening our understanding about the world, or aspects of the world around us not just at work but definately not excluding work. This book is certainly helping me enjoy the bit of that journey I'm on right now.

For Arbs I can no better (and have no desire to do better) than to advise they read the Preface 'Fungi on Trees' by a friend and scientist Dr David Lonsdale in . If you can get your head around what David has written then you will be (IMO) well on the way to being a better Arb and have a better grasp of what you see around you. Here is a key snippet...

'...There is perhaps even a false analogy with the diagnosis of disease in human beings. Decay is, however, not a disease; it is a normal consequence of aging and/or injury in trees, which releases mineral nutrients that have been locked up in their wood and provides habitats for other species. In fact hollowing is a perfectly normal occurance and is seen as a co-evolutionary relationship between the tree, fungi, bacteria and other micro-organisms. Depending on the species of fungus and of the host tree, the two can often co-exist for centuries; sometimes even for millennia....'

Tony, it certainly is (I think) amongst one of the best books I have read in terms of drawing together disperate threads of the many patterned tapestry that is woodland/forest ecology.

As to how much relevance 'anyone' might find for their daily life...well that will depend on the person.:sneaky2:

Some of us (I think) feel at times that we are on a path of broadening/deepening our understanding about the world, or aspects of the world around us not just at work but definately not excluding work. This book is certainly helping me enjoy the bit of that journey I'm on right now.

For Arbs I can no better (and have no desire to do better) than to advise they read the Preface 'Fungi on Trees' by a friend and scientist Dr David Lonsdale in . If you can get your head around what David has written then you will be (IMO) well on the way to being a better Arb and have a better grasp of what you see around you. Here is a key snippet...

Indeed, Dr David Lonsdales knowledge and more importantly his ability to express it is legendary! His book principles of hazard assesment and management is till one of my favourite books. even now 14 years after print its still in my top three books.

I believe most of the effects (as suggested to) by fungi are as a result of structural issues, the works by Boddy and Rayner regarding the gas pipes and water pipes also highlights the very limited potential of the fungi to live in functional sapwood. It is obvious that decay leads to mechanical issues and that T/R ratios are the result of fungal and sometimes bacterial action, and entomological often playing a role in the trio of activity in dysfunctional wood volumes.

I am acutely aware of the body languages caused by these organisms all of which revolves around hollowing and therefore T/R ratios and mechanical properties of wood altered by fungi i.e selective delignification/ pure cavitation=brown heart rots principally. I find it all rather fascinating and especially how individual species of fungi effect the cell walls differently. causing effects at a cellular/micro level.

We are only just opening the lid on pandoras box, and we have much to learn as to the role and lifestyles of the fifth Kingdom. If there is one thing I would be certain of it is that fungi are the most diverse range and longest evolved species next to the cyanobacteria, and will as a consequence have the most diverse range of skills and qualities for survival and exploration of all life on earth.

Why I even dare to suggest that some fungi have even mastered the art of stimulating growth for their benifits in hosts, Co evolutionary adaptation, and even Dr Alan Rayner said "I do not see why not, look at the Ergot"

anyway I waffle, the point is that IMO, this book enables a very much deeper level of understanding of the dynamics of tree ecology and as such is probably to date the best all round book on the subject.:001_cool: