Cs 38

ChrisG

I need to get my 38 under my belt and was wondering if anybody knows of any course providers or trainers who can provide 38 training on individual days instead of doing it all in a week. I could do without booking a week off work to do the course.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,

What area are you in?

I don't know of any training providers that will accommodate what you want, the course is usually 5 days and is intensive as there is a lot to learn. Having days in between would in my opinion make learning a lot more difficult.

The assessment is usually ASAP after the course while the knowledge is still fresh.

Tom

Not my part of the world so dont know your local training providers, even if you do manage to find someone who can somehow accommodate what your after, I think it would severely hinder your learning, and in the long term you'd probably end up with more time off work because you wont store as much information.

I suggest a week off work at a decent, reputable training center to give yourself the best chance.

Good luck.

Cheers Tom,

I have some climbing experience and am good with ID which is apparently now part of the course, so was hoping to avoid losing a weeks annual, but I suppose it's worth doing properly, especially given the cost.

Thanks again,

Chris.

You will have to ID 3 or 4 trees which are usually fairly easy and only require an answer in everyday terms not latin!

Dependent on experience you already have, be prepared to put it to the back of your mind and learn as if you have never seen a tree, your trainer will start with the very basics so you might find you'll be more familiar with day 3 or 4 than day 1, which will be basic 3 knot systems.

This knowledge is fundamental on passing the assessment.

Post how you get on, when you do it.

Tom

Don't worry too much about speed either. Lots of people think oh crap its a rescue I must do it super fast (real world yes obviously but never sacrificing your own safety). Your assessor isn't judging you on speed (though obviously don't fart around too much). Spend that extra 30seconds just before you descend doing a final check ... his prusik is tied correctly, hes attached to my D-rings, the krabs on my false anchor point are opposite facing etc, all checked, time to move. Far better than getting down 20secs earlier and then realising you've made a silly error, which is far worse to the assessor.

Get on to the nptc website and download a copy of the assessment schedule to read,and read it over and over and over and over and over....

Makes the practical training easier if you already know the theory side,less info to try and remember in short time. Try to practice the basic knots too.