fungus ID

Tom Joye

G. resinacium?

Ignore the looks - go with the other ID features. What's known on the host in the area? Decay strategy? Any evidence of the type of rot? Spore colour? Take a slice, does it have tubes? What colour? Long short?? What colour flesh? Does the upper surface have a crust? Does it melt in a flame? Aroma? Old fruiting bodies? Is it perennial?

Fungal sporophores can get infected by bacteria / viruses / nematodes / gall flies and moths. All of which can cause deformation.

I'll put some shots up of a very odd Ganoderma adspersum/applantum I have when I get a chance.

Here's a deformed Ganoderma spp. on a Beech (sorry phone cam shot).

What a mess! I'm thinking Nectria coccinea var. faginata + Agrobacterium tumefaciens with a dash of Ganoderma that seems to have succumbed to the same process?!?!?

In close up, the pore surfaces of the gano are obvious and parts of the stem have a nice dusting of cocoa powder!!

I dunno.

IMAGE_123.jpg.6ce5e9102ee58e5e9e2e773843bb2f2c.jpg

G. resinacium?

Ignore the looks - go with the other ID features. What's known on the host in the area? Decay strategy? Any evidence of the type of rot? Spore colour? Take a slice, does it have tubes? What colour? Long short?? What colour flesh? Does the upper surface have a crust? Does it melt in a flame? Aroma? Old fruiting bodies? Is it perennial?

Fungal sporophores can get infected by bacteria / viruses / nematodes / gall flies and moths. All of which can cause deformation.

I'll put some shots up of a very odd Ganoderma adspersum/applantum I have when I get a chance.

ok, just visited the mystery fungus again. Here's some answers to your questions, Tony: No evidence of the rot, no spores visible, no tubes visible (I couldn't even identify a spore layer), the fruiting body is soft, no crust, I don't know if it's perennial, since it's the first year it's there, it doesnt' melt in a flame (it's very moist), the aroma is like rotten nuts or pig's manure.

As you can see in the picture, it is on a dead standing stem of Quercus rubra (in the red circle) that has 5 or 6 fungi on it, Tremella mesenterica, Trametes spp., etc, but also Laetiporus sulphureus. So over here we're thinking it might be some freak-mode Laetiporus, it has the same type of cheesy flesh and the same lumpy form. Nothin there that reminded me of Ganoderma.

So, what do you think?

naamloos.jpg.77503c705b36e20d26fa0da743be3743.jpg

IMGP0300.jpg.ba0f95f0c3f418ec7502fe14bdaf6203.jpg

IMGP0298.jpg.32166f7cc47c2bd8acda8ce69bcac02b.jpg

IMGP0295.jpg.de2a5daa2871213095fd96241fa884ac.jpg

• 1 year later...