Estate worker

Bald Monkey

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go day rate then be careful with what hours the manager expects you to work for a typical day, might be 8-4 or may be 7-5, quite a bit of difference. We go for £100.00 a day(£12.50 ph) just man or £120 a day (£15 ph) for man, saw, fuel, trailer etc. And typically work 8hr day, but will work longer or start ealier if needed. Think its important for know what the hour rate is roughly, so if you need to go else where one afternon etc, the manager knows what will be charge for the hrs worked in the morning, etc.

Thats a really good point mate about the hourly rate, I've got a feeling some days won't be the full 8 or 9hrs so it would make sense to have an hourly rate in place, cheers :thumbup1:

100 plus saw fuel. If they have their own tanks of Red and road then worth asking for an allowance. Charge chains, spares to the estate?

It's a nice way of living and working. You'll get calls at all sorts of hours though, so be prepared for that.

It's your "all round worth" the estate will pay for though. Worth giving it a year and re-evaluate then.

All the best.

Id say £80 to £90, its better to charge a little bit less and have constant work than charge more and get it in dribs and drabs, i work for contractor doing commercal forestry most of the time, but also do work for an estate and i only charge £75 to £80 a day.

100 plus saw fuel. If they have their own tanks of Red and road then worth asking for an allowance. Charge chains, spares to the estate?

It's a nice way of living and working. You'll get calls at all sorts of hours though, so be prepared for that.

It's your "all round worth" the estate will pay for though. Worth giving it a year and re-evaluate then.

All the best.

I realise that if I want this move to work I've got to put the extra effort in so I'm prepared for unsociable hours especially with the sort of storms they get up there. Like you say 'give it a year', this is exactly what we will be doing. We have rented a place for a year and will take it from there.

Cheers :thumbup1:

Id say £80 to £90, its better to charge a little bit less and have constant work than charge more and get it in dribs and drabs, i work for contractor doing commercal forestry most of the time, but also do work for an estate and i only charge £75 to £80 a day.

Do you use your own equipment??

you could be in for a shock ,60 pounds a day is what a lot off people want to pay for that work in scotland, and they think a good climber should work for 80,there is some that will pay the going rate but there thin on the ground good luck

Do you use your own equipment??

depends on the work, if i do planting or drive machinery i charge 70 to 80 if i use my own equipment and the job uses alot of fuel il charge a little bit more to cover costs, have you done much forestry or estate work before?

you could be in for a shock ,60 pounds a day is what a lot off people want to pay for that work in scotland, and they think a good climber should work for 80,there is some that will pay the going rate but there thin on the ground good luck

This is true, especially on the west coast cos they are tight as crabs arses over there. You have to stick to your guns though and squeeze the cash out them as much as possible or you will end up with nothing and better off on the brew. Go for the 100 a day plus expenses and see what they say, you can always drop it a tenner or so if they humpf and haw about it, then just stick the tenner on your expenses. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys and they will soon realise your worth and stay quiet about it. That's if your any good of course :001_rolleyes: