Coronet cuts on elm for habitat

sanny

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tho not particularly fond of this craze, each to their own, on dead standing timber I think you should think of a few points. If leaving a tall standing dead tree, can it be felled safely in the future? will it avoid targets in the future as it decays and collapses? Will the client pay for monitoring the tree in the future as it declines? And if you are leaving dead timber standing, who is responsible for it?

Good to see different techniques being applied up and down the country.

Was this your first time?

Is it in a Clients Garden?

Not sure due to photo quality, but is the tree alive or dead?

If dead/monolithed, it looks quite close to targets to be left at that hieght.

Will someone be monitoring it?

Personally would have stripped the ivy well back from where you make the incision cuts for the coros. You need to be completely sure where the tip of your saw is at all times.

David

hay ive done a few of these type of jobs now mainly for national trust

yip was in clients garden looks bigger in photos but aye had cheesed it down to a safe hieght it was about 70% dead but still had a lot of re-gen growing.

this was done for a regular client so yes it wiill be monitored every year. i had cleared the ivy from places incision where done just the camera is pants and does not show this to well .also client insisted aye left ivy on the tree :ohmy:

Here's some I did the other day on a Scots Pine these were my second or third attempt in maybe 5 years, not too many people are willing to let this be done. I find they want their trees perfectly manicured. I did this primarily for the wildlife habitat but also not to cause a huge wound on the main stem. There was a dray and woodpecker holes on it. The rest of the limb had to be removed because it had a great deal of end weight and numerous wounds along the limb. It's in a private garden open to the public.

nice work aye like doing this type of work it breaks the norm of the daily grind

aye thought aye would try different styles to see what style would break down the best do you do alot of this type of work? :thumbup1:

Tho not particularly fond of this craze, each to their own, on dead standing timber I think you should think of a few points. If leaving a tall standing dead tree, can it be felled safely in the future? will it avoid targets in the future as it decays and collapses? Will the client pay for monitoring the tree in the future as it declines? And if you are leaving dead timber standing, who is responsible for it?

photos not to clear but the only target was an old barn which ain't being used

tree was leaning away from the target and can be easily felled if need be.

as for who is responsible aye would say the client is they asked for the work to be carried out as tree surgeons it is only our responsibility to make the client aweare of the hazards of leave dead timber standing. if the client is happy im happy :001_smile:

nice work aye like doing this type of work it breaks the norm of the daily grind

aye thought aye would try different styles to see what style would break down the best do you do alot of this type of work? :thumbup1:

No not a great deal I think this was my 3rd attemp ever!! I'm not too sure how exactly it should look, no-one has ever shown me. As far as it looking like a coronet, well I know it doesn't but I think that from the ground it looks pretty natural...........isn't that the idea???

No not a great deal I think this was my 3rd attemp ever!! I'm not too sure how exactly it should look, no-one has ever shown me. As far as it looking like a coronet, well I know it doesn't but I think that from the ground it looks pretty natural...........isn't that the idea???

aye would say! up here its a trend thats catching on folk likeing the idea what we're doing some not so keen until you explian why you doing it. aye don't see much wrong with this type of work as long as there is a good management plan in place.:thumbup1: