Renewing LGV licence.... stressed!

Pedroski

It might be worth letting DVLA know of the error, because even though they've put that on your licence, you legally only have LGV1 entitlement if you've passed the LGV1 test. I'm sure you already know this though.

Something that really hacks me off is all this CPC borrocks that's been brought in. What's that all about if not just some money making scam?

I can remember a few years back we had to update all our risk assessments and procedures for the few hgv drivers we employed. By the end of the week they were wearing full protective gear and face shields to wash the trucks, cockpit shine was banned as it was to dangerous to risk assess due to some of the data sheet material, climbing into the back of a lorry was forbidden, and i had to demonstrate and sign off that drivers who had been driving hgv's for the best part of 40 years knew how to correctly enter and exit the cab. The new CPC is just a another nail in the coffin of small haulage firms. I'm still debating whether to bother doing mine, but its handy to have the licences to fall back on.

I renewed my LGV two years ago at 45. Went for the medical and also had to change from old paper to new photo one. I have had class 2 for about 20 years and never really used it. When it came back they had included class 1 for some reason. Im trying to get my mate to give me shot off his artic, but he is not to keen. :001_huh:

That has happened before and you are not legal to drive a C+E if you have not passed the relevant test

You will not be insured so that will be 6 points and a fine as well as having the vehicle seized immediately

You did waste £70 because most in the UK can get a LGV medical for £50

Just google LGV medicals

I've just done that, and am now really hacked off. The doc showed me the list of charges here and I wrote him a cheque for £120, now find Drivers Medicals would have done it for £51! Winkers!

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update.... received letter from DVLA yesterday saying that on medical advice they are not renewing my Group 2 (LGV) entitlement due to my PFO. What gets me is that a PFO is something that 1 in 4 people have. Another thing that gets me is that I'm fit and healthy apart from occasional shortness of breath, unlike some of the heavy smoking, drinking, obese drivers that I see every day. My consultant has already told me that I have absolutely no heart disease, and the occasional symptoms I'm getting are not likely to be caused by the PFO. The consultant said the PFO was "asymptomatic", so not why are DVLA saying the opposite? Apparently I have the right to appeal through the magistrates court, and I can also reapply when the consultant has given all clear. I have an appointment with consultant in a couple of weeks. I hope to be able to use refusal to renew the LGV entitlement as leverage to persuade the consultant that I should have the PFO closed (simple procedure). But I really don't understand why the licence was refused anyway, given that the consultant had said I was "asymptomatic" and am NOT going to have a heart attack or stroke!

Imagine if driving was my full time occupation - I've got kids and bills to pay, and I'd be absolutely stuffed for no reason at all. I'm about the fittest and healthiest person of 45. I started seeing GP a year ago as I was a bit concerned about occasional shortness of breath, and I know for a fact that it's the sort of thing most people would have just ignored. This was the first time in my whole life that I have been to the GP for this sort of thing. Any other trips had been for jabs and medicals, and to take the kids for their jabs etc! BAAAAADDDDD DAY

So sorry to hear of your problems, and I hope that you can find some sort of resolution. Remember good health is more valuable than almost anything else.

I passed my class 1 back in the days when you could go straight from car to HGV1. I have never driven HGVs as a main job, but it's always been nice to know it's there as a back-up just in case.

When I got to 45 my family questioned why I bothered with the hassle and cost of renewing, and again at 50 asked the same thing. I told them that my view was that although it isn't the end of the world surrendering the entitlement, for the cost of the medical and a bit of paperwork I do at least get a regular medical checkup (the only times I've been to the doctor in the last 30 years have been for HGV meds), plus the photo on my photocard licence never expires!

The other thing I pointed out is that it is relatively little hassle to keep the entitlement, but a huge hassle and expense now to get it back if I give it up.

Cheers Treewolf. I'm definitely not going to sit back and let the entitlement go. I've left a message for my consultant to call me so I can get his opinion on what DVLA have done (and I'll ask for something in writing) and I'll make an appeal through the magistrates court. As you say, it's something worth having as a back up, and is also a good way to encourage me to go for regular check ups.

I also went straight from car to HGV1 in the space of 5 days, and I'm a damn site fitter and healthier than the instructor I had. Very first day of the course, and my very first day driving an artic, he told me to turn right out of their yard and head toward the A27 and we would make our way to Hastings. Within 5 or 10 minutes, he'd fallen asleep, woke up half hour later as he needed a pee (I got to hear all about his medical problems!), then he got back in and fell asleep again. Next he wakes up just as I'm coming into the back of Hastings. The poor ol' fella was 60+ and seemed to suffer from serious narcolepsy..... and he was my instructor!