Renewing LGV licence.... stressed!

Pedroski

I don't believe this. I've got some medical thing going on at the moment after having pneumonia at end of last summer. Docs found I have a PFO, which is a small hole between one side of heart and the other, and is something that 1 in 5 people have. Been having shortness of breath for a while and this is being looked into. Never had blackouts or anything like that. Consultant said I'm not gonna have a heart attack, all ok but checking lungs now

Anyway, just came to renew my licence which needs medical as 45 years old. Doc included all paperwork relating to my current condition with my renewal form. Waited and waited for licence. Then got letter saying it was being referred to their medical advisors, and now, a month later, another letter to say they were writing to my consultant to determine my fitness to drive!

Waiting, waiting, waiting.... and apart from occasional shortness of breath on exertion, I feel ok. The LGV licence is my back up for periods of no other work! If they don't renew it then I've wasted 120 smackers on a fracking medical, and won't be able to use it. Knowing my luck at the moment they'll turn round and won't let me drive at all! STRESSSSSSEDDDDD!!!!

I renewed my LGV two years ago at 45. Went for the medical and also had to change from old paper to new photo one. I have had class 2 for about 20 years and never really used it. When it came back they had included class 1 for some reason. Im trying to get my mate to give me shot off his artic, but he is not to keen. :001_huh:

. Im trying to get my mate to give me shot off his artic, but he is not to keen. :001_huh:

Wow a rare error in your favor error from the dept of zero error tolerance.

I passed Class 1 never did Class 2. It was 16 years ago, before the money making training schemers arrived:thumbdown: first full time job was on a 4 wheeler tipper going forward was fine but I automatically tried to reverse an artic trailer a few times on the first day. :blushing: Maybe your mate knows storys of foled artics from Rigid drivers.

I renewed my LGV two years ago at 45. Went for the medical and also had to change from old paper to new photo one. I have had class 2 for about 20 years and never really used it. When it came back they had included class 1 for some reason. Im trying to get my mate to give me shot off his artic, but he is not to keen. :001_huh:

It might be worth letting DVLA know of the error, because even though they've put that on your licence, you legally only have LGV1 entitlement if you've passed the LGV1 test. I'm sure you already know this though.

Something that really hacks me off is all this CPC borrocks that's been brought in. What's that all about if not just some money making scam?

I must say I have found the DVLA medical people most helpful and accommodating after expecting the opposite. While carrying out a review of my medical condition they said I could drive after the expiry date of my licence pending their decision.

My doctor found an irregular heart beat at my last HGV medical (Atrial Fibrillation) which had to be reported. I had no idea I had this condition, which just shows the value of annual tests for old blokes. DVLA said I could be reissued with a new licence once my condition was stabilised, but in the end at over 70 I came to the decision that whanging a 40 tonne artic around in todays traffic is a job for a younger man and let the licence go. It's hard to accept that reflexes are slowing down and that you can't screw your head round like a young'un......but it comes to us all in the end.

So now I get called out as a groundie by my son....never worked so damned hard in my life.

Thanks Ashtree. The letter from DVLA does, like yours did, say and can carry on pending their decision. In a way I'm tempted not to bother as I hardly ever drive anything needing an LGV/HGV licence, when I do it seems to be unpaid for a family member, and when I look at agency work it seems to be £8 to £11/hour which is less than I get in a garden! It kind of seems pointless but is something I was hoping to be able to fall back on if need be, especially after £600 for the ticket years ago and £120 for the medical! Can't see it paying for itself now :(

Thanks again, esp first post and all, and welcome to Arbtalk :)

Thanks for the welcome Pedroski, it is appreciated.

I feel a bit of a fraud posting here as I am not an arborist, just got interested when my son started his little business nearly two years ago after leaving the army, so maybe that qualifies me near enough.

I'm sorry you're having medical problems but you're only a young feller yet, so if you don't mind me offering advice without being asked it would be to persevere with the licence, it's a skill well worth having and you never know what's around the corner.

The people on this forum seem a pretty friendly lot and generous in sharing their knowledge, so I'm looking forward to learning a bit and impressing sonny Jim and make sure he knows the old man still has a trick or two.

Thanks Ashtree. I will persevere with it - as you rightly say, no way of knowing what's around the corner. Still not heard anything yet though.

Definitely no need to feel a bit of a fraud! I think there are lots of us on here who are not arborists, but still work in the industry. I'm not an arborist but am a long time experienced landscaper, and get arborists in for jobs, and I've realised the importance of the knowledge that is here, and how it helps me. I also enjoy recreational climbing, and this forum has therefore become a brilliant resource. For the future though, I have other things up my sleeve.....