Guying leaning trees

David Humphries

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:I don't know why I feel compelled to give my opinion when yours is clearly far more learned than mine is .:lol:

The crown appears very thin, the tree is declining quite rapidly(it appears from the photo?) and there is a permanent high value target below several tons of oak.

Fell the tree and erect large sections of the stem in an upright position away from reach of target/s.

Personally, I would only consider guying where there is no target of more than low value to prolong the existence of a valuable tree in a low risk environment.

If a tree leaning as heavily as that failed when guyed what would happen to it?

Ok, perhaps it wouldn't fail if guyed, but if it did it would be a hell of a swing.

Is the value(estimated remaining contribution) of the tree high enough to go to that much trouble?

Apologies for being negative but the situation doesn't seem suited to guying to me.

With respect, I guess you just have to have a focussed & historical view of this site & its trees, to really be able to judge the management of this tree (within it's landscape context) on little more than a couple of shots.

Thanks for your contribution though :001_smile:

With respect, I guess you just have to have a focussed & historical view of this site & its trees, to really be able to judge the management of this tree (within it's landscape context) on little more than a couple of shots.

Thanks for your contribution though :001_smile:

Yes, I can understand that and I am just seeing a large declining tree leaning over a garden and house.(Sorry, that is not meant to try and confirm my point, but accept my shortsightedness)

If it were up to me I would move the house a tree lengths away.:laugh1:

"If a tree leaning as heavily as that failed when guyed what would happen to it?

Ok, perhaps it wouldn't fail if guyed, but if it did it would be a hell of a swing."

Clearly if one was familiar with the process, and the standard, there would be less confusion about it. BS call for 2 cables 60-90 degrees apart is good guidance. :001_smile:

"Is the value(estimated remaining contribution) of the tree high enough to go to that much trouble?"

Again, the trouble is not that great--half a day for a 2-man crew would do. That tree could not be pruned to stability, judging by the looks and report on the tension roots.

Retaining canopy seems a high goal for arborists, so support is considered along with pruning. Mycologists might favor routine heavy pruning because it invites fungal ingress.

"Is the value(estimated remaining contribution) of the tree high enough to go to that much trouble?".

I believe it is, hence the thread I guess. (but that's a given :001_smile: )

Now considering instigating a pull test (Statics Integrating Method) as the next phase, this may give more confidence in the potential management options for this tree.

Also have the Resi-PD400 coming in during the next couple of weeks to replace our DmP, so will look to ascertain the extent of the Fistulina decay.

I believe it is, hence the thread I guess. (but that's a given :001_smile: )

Now considering instigating a pull test (Statics Integrating Method) as the next phase, this may give more confidence in the potential management options for this tree.

Also have the Resi-PD400 coming in during the next couple of weeks to replace our DmP, so will look to ascertain the extent of the Fistulina decay.

keep us posted on this one david, interesting dilema, would be a good case study:thumbup1:

"If a tree leaning as heavily as that failed when guyed what would happen to it?

Ok, perhaps it wouldn't fail if guyed, but if it did it would be a hell of a swing."

Clearly if one was familiar with the process, and the standard, there would be less confusion about it. BS call for 2 cables 60-90 degrees apart is good guidance. :001_smile:

"Is the value(estimated remaining contribution) of the tree high enough to go to that much trouble?"

Again, the trouble is not that great--half a day for a 2-man crew would do. That tree could not be pruned to stability, judging by the looks and report on the tension roots.

Retaining canopy seems a high goal for arborists, so support is considered along with pruning. Mycologists might favor routine heavy pruning because it invites fungal ingress.

Fair comment, I am not familiar with the process at all, just reacting to gut instinct, which is not what arboriculture should be about. The best lessons come from our mistakes.:001_smile:

Still can't feel comfortable with the idea of that tree over a garden held by guys though.

It may be half a day to install them but what about the ongoing maintenance and security?

What about the blokes that eventually have to deal with it when it's days are over? Sectional dismantling of a guyed tree, that could be an interesting addition to CS units.

This is modern arboriculture and the processes David is going through are well beyond what I am used to.

Thanks for the education, keep us posted,please.:thumbup1:

Still can't feel comfortable with the idea of that tree over a garden held by guys though."

Even 15,000 lb. test x 2?

"It may be half a day to install them but what about the ongoing maintenance"

The cable material lasts at least 30 years. It needs periodic inspection, and possibly adjustment.

"and security?"

What security? Like a mall cop or something? :laugh1:

"What about the blokes that eventually have to deal with it when it's days are over? Sectional dismantling of a guyed tree, that could be an interesting addition to CS units."

It will be another factor, but the whole idea is to prevent its days from being over.

"This is modern arboriculture and the processes David is going through are well beyond what I am used to."

I'd heard that support is rarely used in the UK, but it is still surprising.