cutting up logs for turning

pyro

Hey guys and gals.

Ive got a good few bits of green oak (5ftx 3 of) and a big bit of green yew that needs cutting up for woodturning, Im just wondering what sizes i should cut it too?

My lathe can take 8" diameter, weight wise: whatever 1.5hp can spin!

Any ideas?

I was thinking 8" lumps for natural edge bowl and vessels?

I would like it planking or milling down, but i dont know if its possible without a milling attachment.

thanks

Ben

for turning no need for a mill as just cut down the grain

a mill is to keep it straight and even for longer.

I have just slabbed a load at 14 inch freehand and no problems:thumbup:

the round stuff I usually cut at lengths as to any twists or leave them till i know what I want

Thanks for that Bob, Im sure i could find use for the wood if it were planked, for shelves etc. I may have a go at some free hand milling, the worst i can make is firewood!

At the minute its stacked behind the landrover that im rebuilding, but I now need to move it all so i can turn the landy round. And my shed is full of "useful stuff" (read "crap") so I need to break it down into smaller bits.

thanks

Ben

Cheers bud, Ive got a camping stove and a big pan that I may use for waxing the ends. Though I think that the paint idea is good, ive loads of old stuff in the shed aswell!

Presently ive got 3 small (golf ball size) wasp nests to get rid of!

Ben