L 200 crank pulley problem

miker

Happened to my ranger. The center is metal, then there is a bonded rubber section that is bonded to the pulley outer. The rubber seperates from the inner or outer, and throws the belts.

can be ackward to get to with pullers. also change both belts (if there are on the l200)

to run it through the cam & bal belts are behind the covers - change them just to play safe.

The bottom pulley is bonded, so if it slips the belt load goes through the PAS belt - (mine did when I brought it, found out when I went to change the cam belt)

What happens is as the bottom v-belts are not driving, the belt load goes througth the alternator and water pump, as the water pump pully will now slip under extra load the mistake is to tighten the belts more - damages the water pump - which is a sod to change ( I heard a bearing noise from the water pump, so changed it while it was it bits).

So I changed the bottom pulley, cam/bal belts, water pump and v-belts etc 2-yrs ago, ran fine since - until the head went, changed all the belts again to too play safe, bottom pulley is ok but will check it again this year.

No big probs if you are ok on motors, just rad out and line up all the cam belt timing marks carefully - always crank the motor over with a spanner first.

Doing it myself it was cheap - spares from Milners off road.