Tree Planting Help?!!

Chesterman

Hi,

I have an extra heavy tree planting job coming up (18 - 22cm) and need a bit of advice. The spec is to plant the tree with two stakes and cross beam but additionally it asks for 200 x 38m anchoring timber.

I would normally just use a root anchoring system but I have to go by the spec.

As there is no wiring allowed I can only assume the anchoring timber could be used as a sort of # shape and fixed to the staked above the root ball?

Any ideas?

In my experience, tree planting specs are often written by landscape architects with little or no practical experience of tree planting, and who often specify outdated methods. I have no idea what "anchoring timber" is, but all of the most up-to-date guidance recommends using the absolute bare minimum of support for trees, even ones of this size.

I think it's part of the task of contractors to use their judgement and query when they think a spec is wrong. Were you thinking of using Platipus or similar (PG GEFA)?

If above-ground support is the best solution, then I'd use soft spacers and strapping rather than rigid timber bars (which are very vulnerable to wind damage, are interesting to vandals and are prone to damaging stems). They move a bit with the wind, and will not abrade the stem. I get mine from J Toms Toms Tree Ties , and have used them on x-heavies with great success (in a three-post configuration).

Best of luck

Hi Scott. Thank for that as it's pretty much what I'm thinking. No one I know has ever used or heard of anchoring timber.....I just thought I'd missed a trick. It seems like a pretty dated method and even my partners Dad hasn't heard of it and he's been in trees since they were invented!!

It would definitely be more practical to use either platipus anchoring but I think the above ground support should suffice....2 x 75mm stakes. It's in an open location so pretty windy all the time. I'll have a look at Toms ties, thanks!!

Oh yeah, the planting is in Hull.....plenty of Vandals!!!