A tiny Beast?

Daniël Bos

Even a 180 has more than enough power to cut a 6" branch - you are only asking it to cut a 2" stake.

So put a bigger sprocket on the saw - if you can get one. You could probably get one made. 10", 8 or 9 pin sprocket would see a pretty tidy chain speed (25% faster than stock?). Hell, it would probably turn a 10 pin sprocket if you were only using it for 2" stakes.

Failing that, lay 25 metres at a time and do the cutting in stages.

It'll cut ok, I just want it to cut a lot faster.

I don't think a bigger sprocket will solve much as it's the saw at it's limit, not the chain.

I could cut in stages, I just don't want to. I find it nicest to work along the hedge, putting in stakes only where necessary to maintain minimum stability, then I stake and bind all in one go.:001_smile:

echo cs2700es or cs280es 10 inch or 12 inch bar around 27 cc cut quite quick cutting around 3kg or the bit bigger echo cs352es around 36 cc 14inch bar around 3.5 kg and there so much better or the echo cs 420es 40cc 15 bar 4.5 kg simller wight to a ms211 and way better than any domestic stihl

I could buy a new saw, but if I did it would be a stihl 192 (to be fettled:biggrin:) or a 200/201:thumbup1: Not that keen on a new saw though, and I do fancy a bit of fun with the dremel to see what it can do.:biggrin:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I wouldn't port a 171, they are not the easiest saws to get apart due the cylinder being part of the crank case (Clam shell style) and this makes reducing the squish and increasing compression difficult and beyond the home tuner.

As far as porting goes, do you know if you should increase the top or bottom height of the exhaust and inlet port, how much do you open the sides by, I know enough to keep on the right side of trashing expensive components but do you:thumbdown:

I am not saying I am an expert but I do know the cost of a new OEM cylinder and know enough to know what I can and can't do to increase peformance.

The cost of a decent 171 will be £100+, the carb is £25 second hand, the time or getting A N Other to do it - reckon the best option is the rear handled MS200T or just getting a more pro saw in the first place!

I don't rate the 171 as a good candidate for tuning and porting isn't just getting a dremmel to the ports without understanding what you are trying to achieve.

Sorry to pee on the fireworks - I think getting a 171/181 to snarl at a 346XP is a little optimistic:001_rolleyes::lol::lol:

Cheers for the info Spud:thumbup1:

I know I have a reasonable chance of ruining the saw, but I don't use it at all at the moment as it's too underpowered and not that much lighter than the 346 for most jobs. If I break it, I may have learned something whilst doing it, or at least had some fun.

I have no illusions of trying to adjust the squish, I don't even have a clue where to begin on this style of engine:biggrin:

I was thinking of not raising the exhaust, just make it a bit wider, to gain a bit more torque rather than top-end power. Same with the inlet, just wider (maybe a touch lower? depending on how it goes).

I am saying you are an expert

I'd never put an oem p+c on a saw this old (2001 I think, in the shed and too full of food to go out now) so I'd go with an £30-ish aftermarket kit if buggered.

I may have a 2nd hand carb sourced (thumbs crossed, people are rifling through sheds for me), should be £10-£15.

All your point to dissuade me are valid, but I reckon the worst case scenario, I'll have spend £20 on a carb and put some fun time in!

I bet it'll still sell on ebay even if I break it:biggrin:

ps, it's a 180

Cheers for the info Spud:thumbup1:

I know I have a reasonable chance of ruining the saw, but I don't use it at all at the moment as it's too underpowered and not that much lighter than the 346 for most jobs. If I break it, I may have learned something whilst doing it, or at least had some fun.

I have no illusions of trying to adjust the squish, I don't even have a clue where to begin on this style of engine:biggrin:

I was thinking of not raising the exhaust, just make it a bit wider, to gain a bit more torque rather than top-end power. Same with the inlet, just wider (maybe a touch lower? depending on how it goes).

I am saying you are an expert

I'd never put an oem p+c on a saw this old (2001 I think, in the shed and too full of food to go out now) so I'd go with an £30-ish aftermarket kit if buggered.

I may have a 2nd hand carb sourced (thumbs crossed, people are rifling through sheds for me), should be £10-£15.

All your point to dissuade me are valid, but I reckon the worst case scenario, I'll have spend £20 on a carb and put some fun time in!

I bet it'll still sell on ebay even if I break it:biggrin:

ps, it's a 180

OK - when you have the pot in one hand and the dremmel with a suitable diamond bit in the other - take a minute to PM me and I will give you a few tips - it my save you turning that jug in to an ash tray:001_rolleyes:

OK - when you have the pot in one hand and the dremmel with a suitable diamond bit in the other - take a minute to PM me and I will give you a few tips - it my save you turning that jug in to an ash tray:001_rolleyes:

Cheers spud!:thumbup:

I do have the advantage of having a spare cylinder to play with:001_smile: