Ancient oak - aerial fungi?

Craig F-J

Would I be right to think that with regards to M. galericulata it has little arboricultural significance?

Correct, although M. galericulata decomposes exposed dead wood with polyaromatic hydrocarbons, it's a just a supercially white rot causing saprotroph, that has little effect on the stability of the tree.

---

59765f8835b2f_Eik-Mycenas.jpg.c5483b2c3871dd9e22adc3951bf7b7cb.jpg

Correct, although M. galericulata decomposes exposed dead wood with polyaromatic hydrocarbons, it's a just a supercially white rot causing saprotroph, that has little effect on the stability of the tree.

---

Thanks. I do like the sound of the polyaromatic hydrocarbons.

Is it that M. galericulata use polyaromatic hydrocarbons to decompose rather than polyaromatic hydrocarbons being present in the wood? I've not come across the term before.

Is it that M. galericulata use polyaromatic hydrocarbons to decompose the wood ?

Craig,

Correct, just as Bjerkandera adusta and Hypholoma species such as H. fasciculare do. And just like PCB's, polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAK's in Dutch) are on the list of environmental toxics.

• 2 months later...
As you aimed the Q at Gerrit I shall leave him to give you the Arb significance of the specimen.

However, if you have the time, it would be interesting to see the wound/cavity now.

Could you take a couple of shots ? :001_smile:

I carried out some work on this tree last week and took the following shots...

If I can upload the pictures in the correct order/way then they will go:

Pic. 1 - what I think was the cavity the ffb were taken from. I'm not 100% as it had been a while to say the least! It is very likely to have come from this cavity though

Pic. 2 - a new ffb that has appeared in the last 12 months...???

Pic. 3 - Something new to me, I have no idea what this is. As you can see, it looks very similar to frog spawn.

5976605aa20e7_oddityoakllanfyllin.jpg.7a53264fd85b0a686bba4b1121a59356.jpg

5976605a9f46e_fungioakllanfyllin.jpg.7e522775faa6e253cb55f4766261719e.jpg

5976605a9bb57_cavityoakllanfyllin.jpg.d4d218cb39d53d7f89393be78995ea75.jpg

Pic. 2 - a new ffb that has appeared in the last 12 months...???

Pic. 3 - Something new to me, I have no idea what this is. As you can see, it looks very similar to frog spawn.

Pic. 2 : Too old to identify, could be the last year's bracket of an Inonotus species.

Pic. 3 : Vomit from a heron or a polecat that has eaten a female frog.