Hello from Merseyside

winchman

Hello

I found your forum whilst looking for PTO driven winches, now as I used to repair them I thougt I would drop by and off any help if any one needs it.

My dad and brother both worked in forestry on a large country estste so I am born with an interest in trees and the out doors.

Hello Winchman, Just the man!! Iv'e got a igland 5000 winch on the back of the county, I bought the winch new about 15 years ago, in that time it has not done that much work, as i use a bigger skidder mainly, the problem is i'm down on pulling power on both sides, i've had the cluthes relined and put back together, fully adjusted the adjustment on the clutches but it seems no better than before, I would say its only pulling about 60 to 70% of what it should be doing, any ideas?

Oh, and welcome.

I am not much help on that really, I used to repair Recovery winches mainly Warn 8274 and the other recovery type stuff.

Is tis a loss of power or speed?

But its just a collection of nuts and bolts, so stop and start again, I assume its hydraulic powered?

Is it getting the required flow rate? It wouldnt be the first time I have seen blocked filters! Oh and a hose with a restriction in it now that fooled us

Are you certain the correct size and tyupe of clutch material has been used?

Did you adjust them correctly?

I would also drop a mail here as they should give you a few tips

www.igland-as.com

Sorry I cant be more specific, have you a link to more details about it as I might just see somethig you have missed?

Th winch is pulling in just as normal, it is not hydraulic it is manually operted by puling on a lever which pushes against a cam which pushes the clutch against the pressure plate, so the harder you pull on the lever the more power the winch has, there is also a sprocket that is linked to the tractor pto via a drive chain, maybe the pto pack is on its way out........... but its bloody annoying , i know that.

Cant think what would be up with the PTO to cause this arnt they just a gear box?

Now is the plate the clutch presses on worn? this is difficult to explain, with out seeing it, but if the lever travels so far then stops, if the clutch plate is worn you cant exert the correct force on the pressure plate to transmit the torque as the lever can push it no further?

This might be rubbish, can you post a picture?? Cant be much its so simple

Cant think what would be up with the PTO to cause this arnt they just a gear box?

Now is the plate the clutch presses on worn? this is difficult to explain, with out seeing it, but if the lever travels so far then stops, if the clutch plate is worn you cant exert the correct force on the pressure plate to transmit the torque as the lever can push it no further?

It’s a tractor PTO and (depending on make and model) they can have a clutch pack and “soft start” options, they can give trouble.

Warn winches, mersyside…….Ryders perhaps?

No the lever doesn't come to a sudden stop so to speak, it just goes very tight from pulling on the lever against the cam, but with less power coming out of the winch than what it used to do, cant post pics now as its all assemled, wont have time for a week or 2 to strip it down again. cheers.

It’s a tractor PTO and (depending on make and model) they can have a clutch pack and “soft start” options, they can give trouble.

Warn winches, mersyside…….Ryders perhaps?

Didnt know about the posh PTOs LOL

Ryders no

About 10 years ago things were tight work wise but as I worked 4 on 4 off I had some spare time. I got chatting to the late Phil Gordon of PG Winches in Cornwall and he helped me set up Winches International, I had a dealer ship from one of the big boys, buy just as we got started people started importing the chinese rubbish via Ebay, so I had competition at half the price but very poor quality but people bought them as they just wanted cheap.

THe repairs side the big companies wanted to pay in two months and the off roaders wanted it fixed for free, so we shut up shop and sold tools instead, some thing we still do to the local garages, I still buy and sell the odd winch though.

So if you have a broken one to sell let me know

Didnt know about the posh PTOs LOL

Ryders no

About 10 years ago things were tight work wise but as I worked 4 on 4 off I had some spare time. I got chatting to the late Phil Gordon of PG Winches in Cornwall and he helped me set up Winches International, I had a dealer ship from one of the big boys, buy just as we got started people started importing the chinese rubbish via Ebay, so I had competition at half the price but very poor quality but people bought them as they just wanted cheap.

THe repairs side the big companies wanted to pay in two months and the off roaders wanted it fixed for free, so we shut up shop and sold tools instead, some thing we still do to the local garages, I still buy and sell the odd winch though.

So if you have a broken one to sell let me know

You will have to tear my 8274 out of my cold dead fingers

You will have to tear my 8274 out of my cold dead fingers

IMHO the 8274 is the only good electric winch, its an old simple design, one allen key and you can strip it and very robust.

Its based on the Bellview electric winch a design from the 50s I think, you still see the odd one about, they are the only one that comes close.