Petzl Rig

Al Baker

Please accept my apologies for hijacking your rope wrench thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a salesman but I just descended into the world of Arborism on my trusty Petzl rig. A piece of kit I have really come to enjoy using and trusting over the last few years in other fields of work.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY3VNJbsQzs&feature=endscreen&NR=1]RIG - Compact self-braking descender for rope access [EN] - YouTube[/ame]

I can see that some of you have also been using it for tree climbing and am wondering how you are getting on with it.

Are there any hideous pitfalls associated with using it for tree climbing that I/we should be aware of?

Thanks,

Al.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jared Abrojena uses a RIG set-up for SRT while working, he seems to like it too.

I have never used one, it looks pretty cool though, but I'm thinking it might be a bit bulky getting thru tight unions like we encounter in trees.

the RW is better there I think, especially when the new smaller , sleeker, ZK-2.0 hits the market this year hopefully? ;)

i use one a fair bit for work and enjoy it. the only criticism i have is all the hype made out it was better for working than the id but it doesnt have a panic setting which the id does, so for beginners the id would be a better use but ive found it a heaps good tool to have about i dont use it all the time but when i do i love the fact it is there. the new gri gri 2 is a cool little device to i use it on rocks but havent given it ago yet near a tree but that could be worth playing with but its the same deal with a no panic but it does run the rope real nice.

Definitly not dissin the RIG. it is a great tool. Jared abrojena swears by it. I found having to use both hands to descend a little tiresome but I guess with practice it can be operated one hand? I would take the RIG over double line work positioning. but would use a Rope Wrench or a Unicender over a RIG or I'd or Like device.

SRT needs to be allowed into the climbing comps and the RIG is a good option for this. It is not currently allowed because of the plastic quick opening feature. Bleh. Please contact the powers that be at both Petzl and ISA to promote SRT work positioning in the arb comps.

...It is not currently allowed because of the plastic quick opening feature. Bleh...

Really? I did not know that. Has there been any reported failures of that part since its release? Being able to take it on and off the line easily, and without dropping it, is one of its many assets.

I think that the Rig is a great tool for tree work and would not hesitate in recommending it to someone just starting in SRT work positioning. The lack of a panic position for the handle has not been an issue when used with appropriate arborist ropes where as the lock-off position that is automatically activated by a top strike is very useful and well thought out.

For positioning it can be worked with one hand, as can swings, but the latter takes some practice and skill. Upward movement is 1:1 when a top ascender with foot loop is used in a sit-stand manner and 3:1 in a RADS for limb walk returns.

It is not too big and is quite a rugged tool. Like I said, in my opinion, this is a very good tool for SRT tree work.

Dave

No, as far as I know there has been no reported accidents but there is a rule that says everything must be triple acting to open. PETZL also has not officially endorsed their gear for tree work. There also is some general resistance to SRT work positioning by the powers that be. Politics? the more pressure put on the powers that be the better. The RIG used with a large DMM boa wich uses a thicker bar stock does not allow the RIG to open without removing the carabiner and therefore should be able to bypass the rule.

The only major concern with the Rig is the same as in any rope discipline, that is the absence of a panic brake such as the I'D features. It is imperative that the climber condition themselves to release the handle in a fall. Depending on the rope used when the Rig's handle is pulled completely the climber is in a free fall, there is almost no friction and this fast acting drop can cause a climber to panic. Human nature is to tense up in this sort of situation which causes one to grab the handle harder, falling is exhilarating but that sudden stop at the end is not so pleasant. This is the primary reason the Rig is designated for "expert users" only.

The Rig can be safely operated with only one hand with training in my experience but I will note this does not fit the confines of Petzl's instructions. The eminent control the Rig offers comes with practice and offers a high level of performance and safety. Once the attenuation of the handle is mastered the Rig offers a versatile and productive climbing system for those willing to dedicate the time and effort required to learn the device.

Lastly, I find the swivel to be mandatory as an attachment point on a climber's harness to effectively use the Rig. This allows use of either hand comfortably.

Climb safe.

ID, Stop and Rig all have potential for clutch and drops syndrome. I've actually only ever seen that once in real life and as you mentioned it was a beginner that took the dive. I've always taken care to make sure that my students have been independently anchored to a back up rope. I also found that having them climb a belayed rope with a running anchor up top will ensure that they can do plenty of climbing while you pay the rope through. You can position them at any height you like before having them make the switch from ascent to descent. I find that's the safest way for them to gain experience with such tools. Of course you can use any of them with back up for work, Operating with an independently anchored back up rope compromises on slickness of course.

Addition of a swivel sounds like a great Idea, I'm definitely in the market for one now, can you recommend?

if your gonna go down the petzl route with the gear then they do a small and large one ive used the small and for what i used it for it was fine absolutely no issues but these days i use as much as i can from dmm as there standards of manufacturing are so much higher so i buy everything from them.they have released some new swivels recently in there new ranges of gear coming out ill attach a link for you. http://dmmprofessional.com/uploads/documents/Swivels.pdf

Thats where id put my dollars.