Tree climbing saftey advice.

Calv

Hi everyone,

Firstly, i don't work on trees, but as a dad of two girls who spend every spare bit of time up trees, i thought i'd ask here for some advice if thats ok?

My girls (9 and 10 yrs old) and i live in the New Forest, and most weekends they can be found up a tree somewhere, but i've hit a snag.

My eldest especially loves climbing as high as she can, however the other day she was'nt too high one minute, then within a couple of minutes whilst i was helping her sister out, she had shot right up this tree, very very high. I'm talking about 40ft i'd guess.

As you can imagine, whilst i was chuffed she's

managed this, i warily encouraged her to get down too! She of course can't see what i am worried about and thinks it's impossible to fall from a tree!

Now she is fine with the height, and is confident climbing the tree, but i don't want her climbing that high unless she has some sort of safety backup incase she slips.

Is there a way to secure her as she goes up, but bare in mind she would be the only one going up? By that i mean i can't go up ahead of her and secure a rope anywhere.

I was wondering about a small harness and a rope system of some sort?

Not sure if i'm asking the impossible or not?

Thanks for any advice,

Calv.

Hi calv......the easiest way would be to belay her. This would basically involve setting a rope up to a high point in the tree. This could be done from the ground through the use of a throwline. this is a small 2mm line with a throw weight attached. then you would need a belay device attached at the bottom of the tree...a harness for your daughter, you would basically be in 100% control.

I would suggest the best thing you could do is contact your nearest indoor climbing wall and go on an induction...you will learn the basics of belaying or "top roping". then all you wll need to learn is the rope installation which you can be talked through right here!

That sounds just what i'm after Steve, thanks for the quick and helpfull reply.

I think i know what i put my parents through now as a kid! Part of me just wants to leave them to it and climb away like i did as a kid, then again kids don't bounce too well from that high up!

Calv.