Impressive adaptive growth on Beech

Amelanchier

Saw this while surveying nearby (You could see it from halfway across the estate!!)

The size and annual growth on some of the brackets is phenomenal - only exceeded by the adaptive growth of the buttresses and around the fence. The reinforced rootplate is deceptively large - which ties in nicely with what I've been reading in Schwarze's new book.

Anyway enough rambling :D

CIMG0430.jpg.1a8469bc6e02592852543bdf2653a051.jpg

CIMG0431.jpg.72f2a3f22210a66bd2c42ca91e1efc19.jpg

CIMG0432.jpg.022d00d0e1612212f7168a4719affd4b.jpg

CIMG0433.JPG.be359b2c8c5bc4e4da787d4c9bcc685a.JPG

I hope you are not sorry to have spent on the new schwarze book...and impressive price tag over a ton I believe...I would be pleased to hear your opinions Tony as it is I'm sure a concise scientific work....!:ohmy:

Its a major work IMO - collects, collates and critiques a huge range of information. Detailing everything from a synthesis of tree hazard assessment techniques, a fairly devastating analysis of the 0.3 t/R rule, interpretation and analysis of PICUS tomograms, a progressive ID for fruting bodies, the different strategies employed by the genus Ganoderma, studies on the biocontrol of decay by using spore inpregnated wound paint, and lastly - how decay fungi can be used to make violins sound better and coffins break down quicker!!!!

I've only read a few chapters (having recieved it on Friday) and the amount of notes i've made on things to chase up is disturbing...

As for the price; £105. That put a small dent in the council book budget for sure.

:D

BTW...Do we think this is adspersum ( on account of lumpy undersides)...The margin's are very slim....they are tricky sometimes....?

Ha - I completely forgot the ID!! I'm can't confidently narrow these down to either G. applanatum or G. adspersum.

Just to confuse matters; Schwarze uses the synonym Ganoderma lipsiense rather than G. applanatum... Maybe he knows something we don't?!? Another thing to go on the list!!!!:confused1:

Its a major work IMO - Detailing everything from a synthesis of tree hazard assessment techniques, a fairly devastating analysis of the 0.3 t/R rule,.....

:D

This would tie in with a comment Andrew made in another thread/post if you will vis a vis how little arborists really know about stability assessment.....a penny drops moment!!:blushing::001_smile: