Level 3 tech cert

sloth

Treecreeper-Ben:

Working with the BS on a very regular basis, I don't think I would have been much happier with 50% :-(

I think "remaining contribution" is debatable, but unless they tell me what I wrote and what they think I should have written, I'm none the wiser...

Having thought about it a lot, I agree that RPA should have been just circles. At least that would have been strictly to BS.

The reasons for crown thinning that I can remember I mentioned are: Shade reduction (for whatever reason), reduction of sail effect (where a dense canopy and strong wind may cause the tree to be blown over), reduction of stress (examiner wasn't too happy with that I think), removal of dead wood or competitive/crossing branches (sanitation/aesthetics), reduction of the weight of the crown (fruit trees, old trees where environment not ideal).

Re your question about what we do at work: We prepare pretty much all the reports/drawings you mentioned. Mainly for Planning. In an ideal world, clients or architects should ask for the survey and RPA before they start their design work, so they can take the information into account and design around desirable trees. But in 99% of the cases they tell us what the design is as soon as they appoint us, and sometimes they tell us which trees WILL have to go, while we are meant to be impartial when assessing the condition and the remaining contribution of a tree.

Mex-Nick: Don't remember what I wrote for the drainage question, so I assume I haven't done it either. A sign that we didn't have enough time is when you don't remember what you actually did answer... Plus, yes, the most annoying thing about failing was that the resit won't be before October. Waiting for a whole year, plus Tom from Myerscough College says if the revised BS gets published in April, the October exam will be based on that, so we have to rethink, but it also means we'll be the first experts :)

Verena

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Verena,

I cannot claim to recall with much accuracy, the points allocated to the survey but think it was not more than 12 ! That said, I would agree that remaining contribution can be somewhat subjective and other aspects they have highlighted in their response to you are not worth enough marks for you to become overly concerned with. The other half of the question was perhaps 8 marks..hopefully others can clarify this for us?

I felt it had to be said because whilst you may feel you can get 2 measley points out of the survey and spec, and Im sure you could....you have lost significant marks somewhere else in the paper. I simply wonder if it would be more effective to concerntrate on these ?

The reason for posting relates to the forthcoming BS5837....I will eat my hat if it ever gets released on time but once available, I would consider a days training with Treelife as they will undoubtedly cover the new paper and may run a workshop specifically to help bring folk upto speed..?

Anyway, hope it is some help ! :001_smile:

Edited by Bundle 2