Hardwood Briquettes

philg

When i first set up my briquette machine I decided to only use hardwood sawdust/shavings and this seems to be a real selling point now. The briquettes are starting to sell well through local farm shops etc at a decent mark-up does anyone also supply wholesalers and is the mark-up any good?.

Thanks Phil

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a colleague of mine in Kent with the same machine. He bought it for his own factory heating but was banned from using it by the local council because of 'air pollution'.

He's tried distributing them locally but the cost of his labour, stout cartons and delivery means he virtually gives them away.

Problem with briquettes is that the average householder can't handle a decent box? Is that so?

Kent? Where? Who?

I have been looking for a local (Kent) supplier of hardwood briquettes, but without success.

Generally buy pallets of 400kg to 1000kg, dependant upon supplier.

Liverpool Wood Pellets have one of the better products, burns hot with lots of after-glow, they claim around 5.5kWh/kg. Ash content is rather high for hardwood product, but no sawdust residue as with many of the wood-based briquettes.

Renewable John

Perhaps it is pure coincidence then, but most of the mixed/softwood briquettes I have tried have not been as dense as those I have bought made purely from hardwood. The softwood variety burnt perfectly well, but had more sawdust/bits in the bottom of each 15kg bag and produced a great deal more ash.

One particular mixed briquette I am currently burning requires the stove ash pan to be emptied each and every morning, another (hardwood) briquette I trialled a couple of days ago produced almost no ash at all.

Heat output of any given briquette will be largley dependent upon density and moisture content.

I have tried to identify as many producers of these briquettes as I can, perhaps you are one of them?

tac1

It all comes down to the manufacture. For Hardwood we need about 70 bar pressure to form a dense briquette. If we input softwood at the same pressure we would get the problems you describe but the manufacturer of the machine is aware of this hence the recommendation that for softwood 100 bar pressure is used forming a dense block without the sawdust problems. Its this higher softwood pressure which makes the softwood briquettes so similar to hardwood briquettes. Not all briquette machines will work at these higher pressures.

I doubt whether you will have had any of our briquettes as we try and distribute within a 25 mile radius of manufacture and do not sell on the bay.

Liverpool Wood pellets briquettes are okay - but imported so not so green as you may have believed.

The ones I sell are oak/beech - and they don't do any of that expanding /collapsing business that many briquettes do. Currently burning them in the stove alongside logs (freebies - we haven't bought logs for years) and lighting the stove with briquettes and then refuelling with logs - probably three times through the evening. By bedtime - ALL the logs have been completely reduced to ash - but we still have red hot embers remaining from the briquettes we lit it with! Lot of customers buy ours specifically to keep their stoves in overnight.

Andy

philg

Who are you trying to kid. I manufacture both hardwood and softwood briquettes and due to the high density of my product you will have great difficulty without being told which is hardwood and which is softwood. They both burn equally well and produce very little ash.

Not trying to kid anyone:confused1:I merely wanted to know what sort of margins there are in supplying wholesale. Its my choice to use h/wood because I can get a good supply locally and besides which I set my machine up without all the help and extra funding from third parties:sneaky2: just asking for a little advice seems to be the wrong thing to do:confused1:. At the moment i have enough custom in a 5 mile radius to keep me going. Thanks for your positive input John.

Phil