Daedaleopsis confragosa on Salix

armybloke

A couple of shots from the weekend showing Daedaleopsis confragosa brackets beginning to form on the stem of this Salix sp. The following picture shows what is happening insdie the tree at the point where a bracket was once attached. The tree was removed as part of the woodland management process I am carrying out at our local NR in my spare time :thumbup1:

05112011666.jpg.aafc0571b19cd6c126f3a8639a74ff47.jpg

05112011665.jpg.ba8646e42d60be60806e562a13802a2f.jpg

showing Daedaleopsis confragosa brackets beginning to form on the stem of this Salix sp. The following picture shows what is happening inside the tree at the point where a bracket was once attached.

Marco,

:thumbup: . Along with Trametes suaveolens, D. confragosa is part of the tree species specific heartwood fungal system white rotting and hollowing trunks of willows, after which the tree looses its crown and becomes a natural pollard surviving and revitalising by activating their dormant buds for decades to more than a hundred years.

Species such as Ganoderma australe or Pholiota squarrosa "throw over" willows, after which roots develop from the dormant buds at the side of the trunk with soil contact and braches develop into trees from the upper side of the trunk's activated dormant buds.

I forgot to mention that I have left that as a high stump to regenerate and also as a perch for the many blackbirds that utilise the woodland for foraging as it will serve as a song post and as a look-out when they forage in flocks in the winter months.