070 manual

Robert Raven

Don't know of anywhere online. You can order a paper copy from Stihl part number; 0458 106 0121. Costs about £2, they are free in the US!

I notice your earlier post in the milling forum. They were sold with two pitch sizes, .404" and 1/2". A 1/2" sprocket is pretty useless if you want to use it as the chain is very hard to find. Spur sprockets usually have what pitch they are written on them but generally the .404" has 7 teeth and the 1/2", 6 teeth.

I have a rim sprocket set up on my 070, which if I wanted to would mean I can run 3/8" chain by just changing the rim.

Parts are relatively easy to get, however, there are some exceptions! All parts are interchangable with the 090.

If you post up the first 3 digits of the serial number I'll give you a good idea how old it is.

If there is anything else you want to know just post it up!

When I say all parts are interchangeable... a 090 six shoe clutch still has to go with a 090 sprocket etc. But you can put a 090 clutch and matching sprocket on a 070 etc

You have to watch out for incompatibility due to age also e.g.

A recoil starter with pawls can't be interchanged with the morse-fairbanks starter unless you change the fanwheel

Excellent, thanks megatron, sounds like you're pretty clues up on these saws. Mine should arrive tomorrow so will look it over then. I was talking to Rob D about milling chains and sprockets, we were wondering if the 070 would be powerful enough to run an eight tooth .404 sprocket on a 36" armor nose bar, hoping to use it's torque to get a bit more chain speed, do reckon this would be ok, or do you think the combination of higher gearing and the drag caused by the solid nose might be too much for the poor old thing?

I would have thought 8T would be alright, however, if you find it bogs a lot I would change back to the 7T. The clutch shoes can burn their linings off if the clutch slips on the drum too much.

Why are you using a hard nose bar?

Some pictures;

070 AV which wears a 30" Stihl Rollomatic ES bar.

Soon to be 090AV, freshly rebuilt.

New old stock 090 clutch and drum on left vs 070 clutch shoes which have burnt their linings off in a 070 clutch drum.

DSC00527.jpg.b8d34ec0d370fb83a88bc779554b4d3b.jpg

DSC00526.jpg.34e0112e360a4345d5af1a4d5bace4db.jpg

DSC00525.jpg.3eb46528d3bd81cc016b21e24144cfb4.jpg

Megatron: thanks for the info and pics- I'm planning on using a hard nose bar purely because I can't find a 36" sprocket nose bar other than the Cannon, which is £160+vat! The Oregon 36" solid nose is £70 including vat and del. If you know where I can get an economical 36" sprocket nose .404 bar for this saw, I'd be all ears!

Burrell- you don't fancy uploading pics of the pages, if you have a very, very quiet moment?

You can make a bar from an MS880 fit usually by just drilling new chain adjustment and oil holes. Both use the 14mm slot size.

However, I have heard that some of the big Stihl mount bars sold for the MS880 have a shorter slot which won't work on the 070/090 without lengthening. So check before you buy.

If you can try to find a 36" Power Match Plus bar for an MS880 and have a look at the tail pattern. You might only have to drill new tensioner and oil holes but if the slot is a different length you would have to enlarge it.

The 30" Rollomatic ES bar I use was intended for MS880 use but I just drilled new tensioner and oil holes. The slot length was the same as the Duromatic bar I have which was intended to fit it.

I mill with an 8T 27" bar in 3/8 - to be honest, the saw doesn't seem to notice 8T or 7T, just chugs on. These saws are all about torque and will turn pretty much anything. I've had an 070 with a 48" bar cross cutting Oak, didn't seem overly stressed. 090 is the same....just more so.

880 bars will fit (at least mine do) - but the chains that fit the 880 will not fit the same bar on the 070/090 - you need to drill a new tensioner point.

If you are getting one of these (clearly old by now), check for air leaks. The oil pump vacuum hose and diaphragm are favourite points.

If you are going milling, you need the AV versions. The hard handle ones are....brutal.