For Big J

David Goss

Here you go mate, thats what it looks like.

Came down nice but completely destroyed the guys lawn. Looks like a 1000lb bomb went off under the log :lol:

All sound and very heavy with 1 or 2 nails near the base i noticed so watch out for them, it looks like they tried to pull them out before but broke the heads off in the process. I left it a bit longer than you wanted i think so just cut off what you dont need and leave it there, we have to go back to tidy up whats left of the brash mat we put in the target zone but looking at how soft the lawn was i guess we might have to dig them out:001_rolleyes:

DSCF1099.jpg.02161e1063f059f1b7d4a37b057f583b.jpg

Looks good there David. Let's see how much metal we find in the log - it's sure to keep Andrew the woodmizer operator amused!

Thanks for posting the photo - I'll follow it up with photos of it getting milled next Wednesday.

Jonathan

Nice looking stick! Very tight growth rings.... but that's more the norm up where you are!

yea very tight. i tried counting them but got lost after 130 because they were so close together, my guess is 180 to 200 years old that lump. Shame it was to come down but i gave it a cuddle before i killed it:001_rolleyes:

Milled it in part today. What an absolute cow!

I've never even had a log with half as many nails in. 5 were were pulled out of the first length that were visible from the outside. There were at least another 6 inside.

The second length was even worse and the woodmizer operator refused to mill it past a 2ft x 2ft beam. Brass screws 16ft up the tree!

I'm going to mill it thick with the chainsaw mill tomorrow to get it done. I'm going to have to saw it one way or the other to shift it so I figure it's better to mill it.

Gutted!

Milled it in part today. What an absolute cow!

I've never even had a log with half as many nails in. 5 were were pulled out of the first length that were visible from the outside. There were at least another 6 inside.

The second length was even worse and the woodmizer operator refused to mill it past a 2ft x 2ft beam. Brass screws 16ft up the tree!

I'm going to mill it thick with the chainsaw mill tomorrow to get it done. I'm going to have to saw it one way or the other to shift it so I figure it's better to mill it.

Gutted!

Man that sucketh!:thumbdown:

why do people do that with nails? pees me off no end. Hit 3 nails today myself on some cypruss that looks like they were used as fence posts:sneaky2:

I hope you get something out of it cos its a cracking big log.

Finally finished sorting out the log.

Yesterday saw the milling of several beams from one section and the cutting of 1.5 tonnes of turning timber. All sold now, so not a complete disaster.

Milled the last length that the woodmizer operator removed from his mill. Cut to 2 1/8 inch, pulled out one nail and hit one more. Not a major hit though - only took about 5-10 minutes to sort the chain again.

So all things considered, it could have been worse. Took three times as long as it should have, cost twice as much to process, but at least I've recouped some of the initial cost and I've a nice stack of 90 cubic foot of Oak to go in the kiln in a years time.

Air drying makes for better boards. I've just not had the space or means to lift stacks until now.

On the down side, I managed to mash two fingers under a board for the first time ever today. Quite nasty deep gashes just below my finger tips too - I'm an idiot for trying to catch a sliding 100kg oak board. Live and learn though.

Jonathan