Moving to the west coast of scotland

Bald Monkey

Hi, not posted on here for a while but always like to keep in touch with whats going on.

Anyway for the past year I have been working on a busy nature reserve in the midlands as a trainee conservation officer, it's been fantastic but only a 1 year contract. This has equipped me with a lot of experience and skills for working on a busy estate/nature reserve. I've done lots of fencing, tractor driving (topping etc), animal husbandry, guided walks, coppicing, grassland and lagoon management. You name it and I've probably done it over the past year. I've also been grounding for a couple of local tree companies on large commercial contracts when available for the past 2-3 years.

I have my CS30,31,38,39, UA1, chipper tickets and I'm about to do PA1 and PA6. It has always been my intention to move to scotland with my wife as we fell in love with this part of the world a few years ago. I have possibly got some part time estate work lined up from next spring but was wondering if anybody knew of any other work opportunities around the tighnabruaich (argyll & bute) area, I'd be willing to travel for up to 45 mins from this base. I'd be mainly looking for some sort of estate work but would always be up for tree work etc. I have done climbing in the past but I'm not really that fast and to be honest it's not really my cup of tea, prefer my feet on the ground!!! I'll graft all day long and not afraid of getting my hands dirty.

If anybody knows of anything it would be great to hear from you, we intend to move up next spring all being well!! Cheers folks :thumbup1:

• 5 months later...

Lovely part of the world, good luck with the move.

If you're kicking your heels while getting paid work sorted, I understand that the local Community Forest (Kilfinan, seems quite active & was successful with a FC community land purchase a while ago) has a shedload of windblow to sort out, may be worth following up for contacts & brownie points.....also look out for a chap called David Blair, eccentric but very interesting type who lives in the middle of his own oak woods in a rather splendid self-felled/milled/designed/built roundhouse.

Lovely part of the world, good luck with the move.

If you're kicking your heels while getting paid work sorted, I understand that the local Community Forest (Kilfinan, seems quite active & was successful with a FC community land purchase a while ago) has a shedload of windblow to sort out, may be worth following up for contacts & brownie points.....also look out for a chap called David Blair, eccentric but very interesting type who lives in the middle of his own oak woods in a rather splendid self-felled/milled/designed/built roundhouse.

Thanks Richard, I have already been in contact with the community forest and will head down there when I arrive, don't think it will be paid work but it will get my face known and introduce me to the locals.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Mr Blair, I think he has something to do with the forest. :thumbup1: