Hello/ business viability.

cw1987

The problem with getting a job elsewhere is I can't find any!

Forestry would deffinately be an easier path for me but the problem is no lone working.

Again I can't find anyone looking to take people on, but in looking I'm finding theres very few Forestry contractors in the area I'm looking.

I've had an expression of interest from a large reliable company so I'm confident I could get Forestry work, its just I'm in no position to set-up on a viable scale in Forestry(i.e. with an employee).

Interesting to hear you've only used a mewp 3 times in 15 years though, that goes a long way to answering my question!

If you want to make money as easily as possible then keep away from forestery, thats why we invented Tree Surgery:biggrin:

There is no tree standing that most climbers wont hoof up to pay their mortgage and pocket the money a mewp would be to hire, or just take a deep breath and undercut the guy who priced in a mewp.

You have given yourself only 2 options, there are hundreds but basically start very simply, the less you have the less you have to earn.

If you want to move back home to be close to your family, then do it and find a way of earning money when you get there.

I think you need confidense and reasurance instead of felling outsiders and spending money on a mewp. Go for it i say, listen to your gut.:thumbup1:

I would never buy a Mewp for tree work, somehow it would never be the "right" machine for each job. I do use mewps a lot, genies in particular (I'm no climber) but they do have limitations (as do climbers!! :001_tongue:) I would always rather hire in the machine I needed for each task than compromise with one machine that isnt suited to all needs.

That a good point, something I was trying to establish aswell.

One size doesn't usually fit all.

I know money is never going to be great in Forestry but the way I see it is I'l get more money doing something I'm half decent at but that doesn't pay great than I will doing something with big £'s but that I'm no good at....

Also as I say the tree surgery market seems saturated in the Sheffield area, theres a good dozen or so people competeing for a job within a day of it being posted on a local forum and loads more over time- quite frankly I probably can't compete with so many people on all fronts.

I know very little about forestry or mewps or how to make money in or with either.

I think your main problem is making the jump from employee to self employment. Going from one to the other is a question of self confidence.

If you think you can handle the risk, the highs and lows and the lack of certainty regarding your income then i say go for it.

You will find there are no end of jonahs forecasting your doom but they are normally people who never take risks themselves.

There will also be lots of obstacles put in your way but if you are confident and committed you will overcome or go round them all.

As mr blair said above go with your gut feeling and you wont go far wrong.

Make the leap and go for it.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk