Hilux or Ranger (also how much for an R reg 90)

Head Ranger Pete

yep - i agree about the defenders ruling supreme offroad- however I doubt i can sell our GM on a 110 crewcab - unfortunately we are always going to be compromising because our estate is quite spread out so it needs to be good off road but still relatively economical and fast on road , and the defender falls down on the latter option

we could just buy the existing lease vehicle from lex when the lease ends, or we could get another lease, or we could buy used or new - so long as I stay inside the current cost+inflation the world is my lobster

Has anyone used the VW Amarok ?- i'd never encountered it before but we recently bought a caddy van and saw them at the dealership at the same time

I would disagree here. Defenders are only marginally less efficient than most other 4x4s in the grand scheme of things.:001_smile:

Anyway- you dont want one so thats that lol!

Edited by tommer9

good point - but that should also mean that a 1 -2 year old ranger will be a lot cheaper to pick up than a hilux of the same age

also good point about the isuzu i'd forgotten about them (although are they basically a mitsibuishi L200 with a different badge)

I think i'll sort out a few for test drive - ive got a little while as the lease on the ranger doesnt run out til somepoint next year

When you say rodeo and L200 are the same do you know for sure they come from the same factory. I drove l200 in the past and thought they felt revvy and notchey on the gearbox. I did not think there was any tye up between the two companies. The rodeo did not used to be anything like the L200 but maybe they are now. It would be useful to know as I would consider a rodeo but defo not a Mitsubushi. If you are only going up to 10 miles then a defender will be the toughest for forrest or arb work. But if you are tall and need to travel more than 30 miles a day you will find the defender slow noisey, wet and uncomfortable.

I would disagree here. Defenders are only marginally less efficient than most other 4x4s in the grand scheme of things.:001_smile:

Anyway- you dont want one so thats that lol!

I can only go from our experience

when i took over we had a 06 plate ranger, an 06 plate 110, and an R reg 90

doing the same work the ranger gets average 30mpg and the 110 got average 18mpg - thats quite a significant difference, and is enough to persude us that we dont want another one - we got rid of that 110 (which was leased) and replaced it with a caddy van.

and the R reg 90 which is marginally more efficient about 20mpg , but very uncomfortable to drive (which is partly down to my height 6'4") is going next budget year - i havent decided what we are replacing that with yet

When you say rodeo and L200 are the same do you know for sure they come from the same factory. I drove l200 in the past and thought they felt revvy and notchey on the gearbox. I did not think there was any tye up between the two companies. The rodeo did not used to be anything like the L200 but maybe they are now. It would be useful to know as I would consider a rodeo but defo not a Mitsubushi. If you are only going up to 10 miles then a defender will be the toughest for forrest or arb work. But if you are tall and need to travel more than 30 miles a day you will find the defender slow noisey, wet and uncomfortable.

I said are they ? I dont know whether they are or not - though the mitsi dealer that used to service our L200s when i had them also serviced isuzu and used parts interchangeably so they must be fairly similar. Ive also heard that isuzu are tied up with vauxhall which isnt reassuring as ive also had a brava and that was a bag of crap (it got nicked by some travellers - and frankly they were welcome to it)

I said are they ? I dont know whether they are or not - though the mitsi dealer that used to service our L200s when i had them also serviced isuzu and used parts interchangeably so they must be fairly similar. Ive also heard that isuzu are tied up with vauxhall which isnt reassuring as ive also had a brava and that was a bag of crap (it got nicked by some travellers - and frankly they were welcome to it)

The bravas werent great. Isuzu pulled out the stops to get the Rodeo right after the problems with the 3.0 litre common rail troopers. The old 3.1 trooper was a superb work horse.

V8 landys drink it but you would love the buzz and roar:lol:

If I was buying for myself i'd entirely agree - when i was a freelance arb , i used to have an ex army 130 with a V8 converted to dual fuel - that was a great truck - i eventually wrote it off by rolling it on the M27 (some pillock in a siera changed lanes into the side of our heavily loaded Ifor)

After that I had an ex army lightweight with an aftermarket turbo deisel - that went like the proverbial off a shovel and was relatively okay on fuel. ( I ran that for two years did abour 20k in it and sold it when FMD killred the contracting buisness for 100 quid more than i bought it for - result)

I'd love to be able to buy either of those again, but these days now I work for the trust i have to be sensible and seek best value , so buying buzzy roary goodness for the hell of it isnt an option.

I'm almost decided on keeping with rangers - but i'm going to test drive a hilux, a rodeo, and a amarok just to be on the safe side