1984 or what!

Arbmatic

Another tech based entry.

I have just figured out how to turn my cheapo GIS system and an old computer running XP into a vertual mapping server. OK what on earth does this mean and why would it merit a posting when 'Strictly' has only just finished the X-Factor is still on. Well one and all, what it means is that if you are out and about doing work you can post an entry into the server file and everyone who is logged into that file can see what you have posted, a bit like if you put a posting on arbtalk.

So 'like big brother' I can see exactly who has surveyed which tree and what they thought about it in real time, and they can book in the work into a diary in real time from where they are. Not only that but you can add in photos, work requisition forms, just about anything. Best bit is that you dont have to pay for hosting and it can be made secure, this sort of thing would usually cost you thousands in software and running costs. The system I envisage would cost about £250 plus your mobile and internet connection costs but you could also store and cache info. Most of the mapping, data sharing, etc would be free!

Now here is the best bit. You could quite easily set up a data system based on a text input files so that you can survey from your iPad or Android device without the need for separate software, infact any system that can read and write text files. The virtual server just decodes the info.

Am I mad, may be I am, but I think this is the Dogs Bits

Enjoy

OK so due to people being on sick leave (nothing to do with the weather you understand) I was on the help desk this afternoon. Always the best way to do it, quiet on a Sunday and I get two days off as compensation. I'm sat there contemplating the "Working Smarter" statement from our dar friend in the US and I come up with this.

I now have a virtual server on my old computer, so what can I do with it.

This is what I came up with. I can now send information from my Android phone (could use a tablet or an iPad though) which my GIS will read and turn into a report ready for my customer, it can then send me back the fie if I wish and I print it in the car or I could pick it up when I gat back. So why would I do it this way. Well the processor on my Android Tablet is frankly rubbish in comparison to even my old pc. However I can't carry my pc around with me doing surveys. So I now have the ease of my light weight tablet and the power of my pc now that does seem 'Smarter' to me. However the serious side is that I could mix the report with an invoice and maybe save a week on payment time, this gets me a bit more on my productivity and my bonus goes up. RESULT! Also it looks cool to the customer.

Enjoy