Clutch removal tool?

andy_mac

From your picture Spud I wondered if the guy who put the hole in the piston didn't realize it was a 'left hand thread'.

It can be a bit confusing, as far as I'm aware clutch threads on saws are left handed, the problem on many motor bikes with a nut over a spline or keyed shaft they will be right handed. I think I may have gone the wrong way for starters with my Quad, like saws they have auto clutches, so you can't jam the drive so it's rope down the plug hole ( being a bit carfull with the valves)

I use a lenght of old 6 mm climbing rope, with a spanner up on TDC and wind back say 30 degrees before putting the rope in saves jamming the exhast - hopefully:blushing:

Quite possible, I didn't know the history, just that the owner had low compression and very bad starting. Just a warning on this type of tool!

Thanks Spud - looks like I've been saved by being too tight to buy the right tool:thumbup1:

Bit of worry to see what can happen to a piston.

Mind you undoing some nuts can push you to the limit, my brother 'lost it' once and came out of the garage asking "if I'm any good fixing radios?" - holding a radio with a 2lb hammer sticking out of it:thumbup:

Thanks Spud - looks like I've been saved by being too tight to buy the right tool:thumbup1:

Bit of worry to see what can happen to a piston.

Mind you undoing some nuts can push you to the limit, my brother 'lost it' once and came out of the garage asking "if I'm any good fixing radios?" - holding a radio with a 2lb hammer sticking out of it:thumbup:

I know that exact feeling - one day you can fiddle around for hours trying to get something back together then the next day you lose your rag after two minutes and smash it up:lol:

Same here Spud, I once tried to change the rear brakes on my old transit, stopped after running out of plasters - few days later no probs, don't understand. Some jobs seam to flow with luck from the start and probs solved as you go, I was lucky a while ago changing the head, clutch & gear box on my old L200. Its good how with a few 'tips' from mates how alot of probs can be avoided.

My best 'lost it' was at work at the hospital trying to change the date on an ECG M/C it wouldn't accept the change and kept flipping back - I closed my eyes and brought both fists down on the keyboard, opened my eyes to see keys everywhere - so closed & opened them again, no luck. So I played Scrabble sticking all the letters back - a fews days later the nurse phoned up to say 'some of the letters were different to normal' I told her not to worry it's an Americian keyboard:lol:

I realized from your posts how you are on a stepper learning curve than me with your real breakdowns to solve against my normal running maintenance.:thumbup1:

Good point about piston damage Spud, the force on the piston increases the higher the piston is in the cylinder for the same crank torque ( I won't go into the phsyics just trust me) so the more rope down the hole the better if its hard to undo the nut, (always turn it the same way it goes around when running).

You want to lock the piston where the crank throw and con rod are at 90 degrees to each other. The position with respect to the top of the cylinder will vary depending on the stroke.

Impact wrench is the best, using only the compression of the engine. Take the flywheel off first to prevent shearing the key.

Personally my choice of weapon is the Stihl double ended plastic tool for small bore saws which are not particularly hard to shift and then use rope on the real difficult and larger ones.

I have only ever needed to use an impact drive on a saw once and that was on a 038AVS with a clutch that I don't think had ever been off - nothing would shift it appart from a direct drive and turning action of an impact drive.

I don't like using too much force in this area as you can break the end of the crank off if you abuse it:thumbdown:

me too about using too much force, especially with energy going through bearings. It's a hard one of what to use, with some jobs like stripping the prop shaft on my truck last week, the choice tool was a homemade 6lb lump hammer with a large alloy drift held in a vice working 'Indian style' on the floor.

It's a real experience job to strip down some parts without doing damage - or luck