what to look out for when buying s/h tp chippers

Dave Rouse

I would have thought that a second hand TP would have the same characteristics as any other chipper - just variations on a theme really.

If it is road towable, the road gear needs to checked out. I've seen some really ropey used machines that should be taken off the road because they are not fit for the highway. Make sure the wheels/tyres, brakes, suspension and tow head are only as worn as you would have them and that it tows as it should. Check over the engine and drive systems to make sure that they have been serviced to as adequate a degree that your happy with. Make sure that all aspects of the chipping mechanism is worthy of your ownership and that there is no signs of damage or excessive wear to the rotor, paddles, bearings, blades, blade mounts, shear bars, infeed rollers or their motors and account for any replacements or rectification work that is required. I would never buy a machine without running or trying all aspects of the machine and, more importantly, make sure that it does comply with the relevant specifications for its safe use and that all safety equipment works as it should. Check that it is not stolen and that the "seller" is free to sell the goods and will supply documentation transferring ownership to the new owner. I would take a note of the serial number and contact the original supplier to check on the history of known ownership as well.

If you are comfortable with the deal then go ahead.

If something does not feel right, then walk away and get some thinking time!