Thermal Imaging Camera's

Treefitter

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The attached case study will offer an illustration of how the assessment methodology can be used practively to evaluate the condition of tree populations rather than just selecting the obvious individuals as we currently do with traditional decay detection devises.

Remember Thermal Imaging is not simply a decay detection tool, because it enables us to consider tree physiology to assess the functionality of the tree first, and then consider the implications of the presence of decay, or other forms of dysfunction.

Thermo Full Case Study Beach Road West .pdf

Well, thanks for the further information, Marcus. I'm sure that when your findings are published I, and I'm certain other readers, will be interested to look at them.

Do you know which journals are going to publish them? Please feel free to let us all know when the papers are available.

best

Scott

The attached case study will offer an illustration of how the assessment methodology can be used practively to evaluate the condition of tree populations rather than just selecting the obvious individuals as we currently do with traditional decay detection devises.

Remember Thermal Imaging is not simply a decay detection tool, because it enables us to consider tree physiology to assess the functionality of the tree first, and then consider the implications of the presence of decay, or other forms of dysfunction.

Having looked at the photographs vs the thermal images, do the IR pictures tell us anything our eyes can't?

Were any of the trees which were identified as being of high risk felled and the "dysfunctional" areas dissected and inspected?

If you look at the Beach Road Study, the tree that was felled looked no different to the one that fell down or the others that remain. This can be confirmed by the tree officer because that is why he called us in. The alternative would have been either lots of PICUS and drilling both of which were prohibitively expensive for so many trees and damaging. We found the only badly decayed tree and it was felled, and I think the picture of what was found inside is in the case study. The others were retained so from the point of view of the trees a big success story, firstly the trees that were OK were retained without any invasive methods being used; secondly a very badly decayed tree was spotted and removed. In terms of publications there are lots of publications on trees and heat already out there that confirm what I have already said. I think there is some stuff on coniferous trees in particular on the TEP web site from Bruno Uni also Jim Morrison at Essex has looked at plants and heating for many years. This is, in one sence, nothing new; all I have done is put the pieces of a complex jigsaw together and come up with the answer. We now have independent studies by Giorgio Catena (a well respected thermographer), My self (well respected environmental modeller) and many plant physiologists, physicists and thermographers that demonstrate how surface heat is related to internal changes and defects. I think its time to get off the chat rooms and just come and spend some time in the field.

In terms of what thermal imaging can tell us beyond the visual. The extent of cooling of branches in comparison to the mainstem gives an estimate of longevity that can be used to plan work. This cannot be done by eye. The entent of decay in the root plate including the below ground parts can be determined, this cannot be done by eye. The extent of cankering up stems and branches can be determined, this cannot be done by eye, the differention between buttressing caused by movement and that caused by decay can be determined, this cannot be done by eye. I could go on.

The point is that there are many many things thermal imaging can tell us and if you wait for me to write it all down it would be years before we get anywhere.

Scott F. The challenge is this, come and spend a day with me and you will find out what all the fuss is about but in return you have to write about it on this chat room.

If you look at the Beach Road Study, the tree that was felled looked no different to the one that fell down or the others that remain. This can be confirmed by the tree officer because that is why he called us in. The alternative would have been either lots of PICUS and drilling both of which were prohibitively expensive for so many trees and damaging. We found the only badly decayed tree and it was felled, and I think the picture of what was found inside is in the case study. The others were retained so from the point of view of the trees a big success story, firstly the trees that were OK were retained without any invasive methods being used; secondly a very badly decayed tree was spotted and removed. In terms of publications there are lots of publications on trees and heat already out there that confirm what I have already said. I think there is some stuff on coniferous trees in particular on the TEP web site from Bruno Uni also Jim Morrison at Essex has looked at plants and heating for many years. This is, in one sence, nothing new; all I have done is put the pieces of a complex jigsaw together and come up with the answer. We now have independent studies by Giorgio Catena (a well respected thermographer), My self (well respected environmental modeller) and many plant physiologists, physicists and thermographers that demonstrate how surface heat is related to internal changes and defects. I think its time to get off the chat rooms and just come and spend some time in the field.

In terms of what thermal imaging can tell us beyond the visual. The extent of cooling of branches in comparison to the mainstem gives an estimate of longevity that can be used to plan work. This cannot be done by eye. The entent of decay in the root plate including the below ground parts can be determined, this cannot be done by eye. The extent of cankering up stems and branches can be determined, this cannot be done by eye, the differention between buttressing caused by movement and that caused by decay can be determined, this cannot be done by eye. I could go on.

The point is that there are many many things thermal imaging can tell us and if you wait for me to write it all down it would be years before we get anywhere.

Scott F. The challenge is this, come and spend a day with me and you will find out what all the fuss is about but in return you have to write about it on this chat room.

Great Marcus! Cheers for the invite. Drop me mail to arrange where and when and I'm there. Of course I'll report what we got through with the utmost impartiality. best Scott

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in learning more or the opportunity of training in the use of Thermal Imaging camera technology, that will enable you to undertake the survey work yourself, this can be arranged in a number of ways:

1. Thermal Imaging Awareness Seminars are being arranged to provide the background information necessary to understand how a Thermal Images Survey is undertaken. The aim of these seminars is to provide the knowledge necessary to interpret Thermal Image Assessment Reports. The seminars are presented over half a day and are charged at £35.00 +VAT per person, and include a presentations followed by a question and answer session.

2. Training to undertake survey work as an Image Capture Technician having completed a two day course in camera use and survey techniques, using thermal imaging technology. The two day course is charged at £750.00 +VAT with accommodation arranged as required at extra cost.

3. Consultant level training to become licensed to use the Tree Thermal Matrix Software (TTMS) requires a minimum level of arboricultural qualification and practical experience before attending an intensive two day course followed by a period of mentoring to guide the candidate through the process of image analysis and interpretation of results. Consultant level training cost from £1,500 +VAT with accommodations arranged as required at extra cost.

All seminars and courses are arranged based on numbers of interested candidates and can be booked by calling 0845 658 1400

ThermoEcology Email.pdf

• 1 year later...

No Marcus, the challenge is for you to do you business in a moral and upright way. Your training was awful, expensive and I still don't have my refund (although I notice from other threads on other world wide sites some of those you owed thousands to have been recompensed).

Mr Cowan, I contacted you regarding 'decent' TI training some time ago and you did not respond at all. Scared of being challenged or is what you are offering the same as Marcus?

Quite a few people probably owe me some gratitude for putting myself on the line over this issue. I was interested in TI to protect trees and as I manage increasingly more of them I was rather hoping TI was the answer.