Tpo Oak with Gano

Guest Infinitree

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my kind of humour having my ears slapped with ripe giant puffballs producing millions of spores :sneaky2::blushing::lol: !

no i meant that i couldnt help but laugh out loud at your response to our friends post, i hadnt laughed so hard in ages FACT, in fact if I read it again i bet it would make me laugh again just as much.

Your a bit like Claus in this way, but different, sometimes i think you say things which you dont mean to be hillarious but are, because im english and we have a very sarcastic wit.:thumbup1:

im english and we have a very sarcastic wit.

So have I, but of a different type that is not always understood by you British :001_rolleyes::001_tongue: .

By the way, I love British humour as is produced by Monthy Python, Rowan Atkinson, The Royle family, Absolutely fabulous, Smack the Tony, sorry, I meant Smack the Pony :001_tongue: , the Catherine Tate show, Tracey Ullman, Green wing, My family, Coupling, etc.

1. In case you didn't notice, the trees concerned are not located in America or Australia, so when I refer to standard VTA-practice, I refer to what is standard practice in European countries such as The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the U.K. and Ireland.

Well Gerrit I know little of the small corner of the globe that N Europe comprises, so I will leave it to you to respond to Tony's account of proper assessment methodology as it is practiced in the UK. Its requirements to clearly state mitigation alternatives agrees with what I understand of QTRA and other more deliberate and scientific approaches, vs. the "fell or retain" dichotomy, which seems based more on politics or economics--the urge to sell felling services--than biology.

As for the Anne Frank tree, I was agreeing (!), so I am not sure what all that was about; probably muddled in translation. No slam perceived or intended, I'm sure.

If there are images of the original tree, that might put things in perspective.

...so I will leave it to you to respond to Tony's account of proper assessment methodology as it is practiced in the UK...

My comments were aimed at explaining the legislative intricacies of securing work on protected trees and not intended to inform a discussion on tree assessment.

There are many scenarios in which a fell or retain strategy is perfectly valid - the company I work undertakes risk assessment within Ministry of Defence land at Thetford (largely pine plantation). The brief is fell or retain - no intermediates, with the volume of trees involved it just isn't worth sending climbers up.

Might I suggest that we all bring unspoken biases to tree assessment, we each have a unconcious framework within which we make our decisions. Some view the tree as a component within a ecosystem, others as a distinct element to be prioritised. Yet others take a more anthropocentric approach. It is hard to justify one as more right (or useful) than another.

This is arboricultural ontology - the nature of our knowledge.

Much of the conflict I see here is talking cross purposes with false dichotomies - sometimes you mean the same thing and sometimes you can both be correct (and wrong!).

" risk assessment within Ministry of Defence land at Thetford (largely pine plantation). The brief is fell or retain - no intermediates, with the volume of trees involved it just isn't worth sending climbers up."

sure that is a population control position, as the original numbering/rating system operated within. not individual trees of value. It all depends on client objectives, and the assignments (that hopefully we have control of writing).

"This is arboricultural ontology - the nature of our knowledge."

Heady stuff. We also can get to:001_huh: epistemology--how we know what we know. Do sensations lead to perceptions that lead to conceptions, or what other pathways are there? Not so easy on keyboards with differing dialects.

"sometimes you mean the same thing and sometimes you can both be correct (and wrong!)."

Yes we can! :001_huh::blushing: