national trust tree surveys??

bigpants

Im sure the MANY members of the NT volunteering crew who will be adding their "unprofessional" input to this gathering of information are even more offended than scot was!:thumbdown:

I already work for the National Trust, undertaking BS 5837 and detailed risk assessments on specific projects for them. What I say is from first hand, direct experience. And I'm not trying to generate more work. I have plenty.

All I'm saying is, we should have some pride in what we do and what we know. I'm sure any other trade would feel slightly irked about "members of the public" (and please do not intimate any sort of derogatory tone where I didn't intend any) doing their job.

And that's all I'll have to say on the matter

I already work for the National Trust, undertaking BS 5837 and detailed risk assessments on specific projects for them. What I say is from first hand, direct experience. And I'm not trying to generate more work. I have plenty.

All I'm saying is, we should have some pride in what we do and what we know. I'm sure any other trade would feel slightly irked about "members of the public" (and please do not intimate any sort of derogatory tone where I didn't intend any) doing their job.

And that's all I'll have to say on the matter

I will leave your thread alone:beerchug:

I also work for the Trust (this reply is my own personal belief rather than anything official). I think the main focus behind this is not to try to short cut or avoid full on professional arb advice more to instill in all NT staff FT and vollies the need to 'keep em peeled'. All full time staff attend a two day tree hazard managment course - giving them the basic skills to visually assess tree hazards - there is always a 'reporting up' to a higher qualified authority aspect to this work. Selected staff from every property will also attend a 4 day tree hazard management course run by the NT's forestry advisor - this adds additional skills such as fungi id and a more in-depth series of risk assessment. Although vollies are generally lay people they do have eyes and ears and this can only assist in helping to keep a really good eye on general tree safety. I like to think of them as our own Home Guard!

With the numbers of properties under the NT banner I think it would be impossible to manage the entire portfolio without the inavaluable help of our vollies. I would not imagine for five minutes that a vollie would be asked to take on any task that if not managed properly would present a risk to the public. There have been high profile cases recently and so this is more a case of deploying all resources available to the same end rather than trying to do something on the cheap. The paper trails for all tree related safety work would probably go round the globe a couple of times. The Trust will carry out any work within its own capability but beyond this would always use the most competant person (contractor or otherwise - insured up to the hilt) to carry out full on arb consultancy or technical work. This isn't me jumping to the defence of my employer or being an arse licker but the Trust do get a bit of a kicking every now and again and I just wanted to put another view forward.

:001_smile:

Im a professional and have held my PTI since 2009, im also QTRA licensed. I will be one of the volunteers at a local NT property near me. Im not offended at the thought of being a professional volunteer lol, in fact i am quite proud to help out.

Volunteers are underated, as I implied origionaly:thumbup1:

good on you for giving your time:thumbup: