Stihl 088 sell or fix?

Pete Hart

Hi guys, been away for a while!

My current issue is this.....

bought stihl 088 second hand, paid local machinery shop to fix a few bits and bobs, and get her running sweet.

Used it 3 times since (running well) then started playing up and it seems that the carb needs replacing now too.

What shall i do? Already chucked £800 at it and im reluctant to spend any more...

Bite the bullet and spend the extra £240 with no definite chance of it being fixed, or cut my losses and try and sell it as is (with 3' and 4' bars too)?

Tricky one - what would you do?

Many thanks,

Pete

Like you say tricky one.

If you were to sell it ebay price would probably be in the region of £300-350, for spares or repair. If you do sell it don't include the bars as it does not make a great difference to the price, certainly not what they would be worth on their own.

If you have some spare time on your hands I would have a go at trying to fix it yourself. What makes you think the carb is at fault?

If it did run ok - then started playing up. I assume it's ok but with a minor fault.

Start by fitting a new plug & fuel filter as ign & carbs faults have a crossover of symptoms. Then I assume with a carb it must only be a blocked jet.

I have a MS280 that played up on running,(ok I used to work on bikes) but I stripped down the carb putting the bits in an old Pyrex lid and making notes of where each bit went. and cleaned it all out with a solvent and using an 'air duster' can blew out all the ports etc and re-assembled it.

I set the hi + lo setting to one turn out or whatever they are for a 880, and gave it a run - let it warm up for 5 mins. Then set up the LO setting to run at it's best, then run it at full power and adjusted the HI setting to give max power an best running.

It now runs a treat - I also have a MS 390 that run lumpy at full power so did the same again, by opening the HI air screw (to weaken the mix) it suddenly ran better than ever. To check it's not too weak run the saw at work under full power for a while and check the plug colour.

If you can't do it yourself find a local guy who is into bikes ideally two strokes.

Good luck - it won't cost much in spares or that that long.

I often hear Stihl disc cutters running at full power running as rough as hell and I'm sure its because they only open the HI air screw to the initial setting and not tune it.

thanks guys..... im only going by what the local garden machinery shop have told me - im affraid my mechanical knowledge is very basic.

I was told that the saw would fire with the carb removed (igniting what little ammount of fuel was in the cylinder), but as soon as the carb went back on it was flooding the engine.

I may save up some spare cash to get it looked in the future but for now i can use my 660 for larger timber.

Based on the ebay prices i may as well give one last shot - after all, when it was running it was a beast!!

If it did run ok - then started playing up. I assume it's ok but with a minor fault.

Start by fitting a new plug & fuel filter as ign & carbs faults have a crossover of symptoms. Then I assume with a carb it must only be a blocked jet.

I have a MS280 that played up on running,(ok I used to work on bikes) but I stripped down the carb putting the bits in an old Pyrex lid and making notes of where each bit went. and cleaned it all out with a solvent and using an 'air duster' can blew out all the ports etc and re-assembled it.

I set the hi + lo setting to one turn out or whatever they are for a 880, and gave it a run - let it warm up for 5 mins. Then set up the LO setting to run at it's best, then run it at full power and adjusted the HI setting to give max power an best running.

It now runs a treat - I also have a MS 390 that run lumpy at full power so did the same again,

by opening the HI air screw (to weaken the mix)
it suddenly ran better than ever. To check it's not too weak run the saw at work under full power for a while and check the plug colour.

If you can't do it yourself find a local guy who is into bikes ideally two strokes.

Good luck - it won't cost much in spares or that that long.

I often hear Stihl disc cutters running at full power running as rough as hell and I'm sure its because they only open the HI air screw to the initial setting and not tune it.

Opening the hi screw richens the mixture they are fuel screw not air screws!

pity you don't live nearer to me, I would give it a go FOC. I was thinking earlier and why not try some local Motor - cross riders who know a good 2T bike mechanic, nothing against garden mechanics but many are not into tuning two storkes for max power. I'm sure most would love the challange of tuning a big chainsaw for a couple of pints:thumbup1:

I don't like the idea of poring petrol in = fire hazard.

Again I don't see the need for a new carb as I'm sure it's a blocked jet or something minor if it ran well recently and I assume the compression is still good?

Not wishing to take advantage of your misfortune but if you give up and want to sell PM me.