am i too cheap?

THE88MAN

ok,honest opinions appreciated on this one guys.i know pricing can vary from region to region,circumstances,staff,insurances,overheads etc etc so i thought i'd ask the question.I have a hedge trimming round which takes up about 3 days a fortnight of my time,today i worked 9-5.30 in one garden doing beech and conifer hedges(same drill twice a year) on my tod.including about 20-30 wheelbarrow loads of clippings disposal i charged the bloke 200 quid,he 's a bit showy/arrogant and likes to flash his cash and says i'm too cheap! i'm happy with that sort of money for a hardly tiring day,what do you guys think and charge yourselves? cheers,steve

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

£60 per hour, not including breaks minimum and I'm not short of trimming jobs. You do a good job and they're quite happy to pay.
i get what your saying dean,i regularly pull in say a ton for 2 hours trimming but surely if your there all day they aint going to pay £480 for 8 hours at £60,they will for tree work i know,but i find alot view hedge trimming as "garden work"?

i get what your saying dean,i regularly pull in say a ton for 2 hours trimming but surely if your there all day they aint going to pay £480 for 8 hours at £60,they will for tree work i know,but i find alot view hedge trimming as "garden work"?

I would then do a day rate for trimming at £350, but that's based on 7 hours inc breaks. But don't forget, we can do a lot in one hour and that includes waste removal. Plus the £60 ph includes a groundy who will double what you could get done in the day.

I would then do a day rate for trimming at £350, but that's based on 7 hours inc breaks. But don't forget, we can do a lot in one hour and that includes waste removal. Plus the £60 ph includes a groundy who will double what you could get done in the day.
i may start thinking about the hourly thing,maybe easier to quote new customers that over the phone rather than keep dragging myself out miles at dusk to find a 6ft high leylandii thats 15ft long (20 minute job) and having to go back! i prefer price work (especially when alone) because i obviously get stuck in,isn't there a tendency to "drag it out a bit" if on an hourly rate?

in which case thats a day for 2 men, which is cheaper than The88Man..

200 for one man hedge cutting is a fair price for both parties

isn't there a tendency to "drag it out a bit" if on an hourly rate?

No, simply because I also tell the customer how many hours it will take, give or take half an hour. It does make quoting quite easy because you know, with experience how long it will take.

One customer nearly collapsed because the last time "he" did it it took him a week, to do the job and get shut of the waste. He was quite relieved when I said we could do it in 4 hours.